1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: User profile service failed to login

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by GEOFF, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

My year old Dell laptop with Vista Home Premium failed to log in on a boot up with the message: The user profile service failed the login. User Profile cannot be loaded.

Numerous attempts to login failed. So, I did boot up in safe mode (but was advised it was not the same user profile) and then I did a system restore back 2 days and now I am ok. But what caused this and now I am nervous each bootup!

I had run a Norton security full system scan the night before and I noticed after restore there were numerous windows updates to install and numerous Norton updates even though both are on automatic update. Could it have been updates were going on when I shut down before the problem bootup.

Any insight appreciated.
    thanks,
    G

2. kamebard

kamebard

It sounds as if something in one of your updates didn't finish properly (either a bug or turning off the computer before they were completed, etc...) which was doing something to either your user profile or something in the SAM causing it to become corrupt.

Shouldn't happen, but it did - one possible cause is write caching being misused and not having the cache flush to disk before shutting down...

3. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

Ok, thank you. I thought it was probably something still running, though I suspected Norton. I think I will double check in future anything still running in Updates before shutting down.

I suppose then that by using system restore, things should be ok now and no damage done as any files that may have been corrupted or other problems caused would not be a problem now as the computer was returned to an earlier state. In other words, I hope this particular problem is over and gone.

G

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/739633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice