1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Userinit.exe problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kirky2k2, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kirky2k2

kirky2k2 Thread Starter

I support 2 schools both have the same problem on different machines 1 school uses desktops the other laptops all different makes and models. All XP Pro machines running SP3. Error checking seems to enable me to log on as administrator (right click local c: drive, properties, tools, error checking tick both boxes run after reboot) this is done in safe mode. All windows updates installed (except annoying ones like windows search 4.0 etc) when the problem occurs I get "windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system. Detail - insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service" followed by "userinit.exe - Application error The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000012d)." then the system hangs and i have to force shut down. This has happened after the error checking has completed, logged in as normal and reboot and the problem comes back! I've ran, MRT (Microsoft malicious removal tool), Symantec, AVG and malware bytes and found a big fat nothing!

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. kirky2k2

kirky2k2 Thread Starter

4. cs51762

cs51762

My Google search revealed that there are other people experiencing the same errors and the culprit is Symantec Antivirus. Maybe caused by bad definitions released around 9/10/2010 as that's when it happened to us. We had five PCs in our company with this problem and were able to fix them by uninstalling and reinstalling the program. What I did was boot into safe mode and rename all of the Symantec folders, then reboot as usual. The PCs then ran normally. I renamed the folders back to their original names and uninstalled Symantec Antivirus. I then reinstalled the program and updated the virus definitions. So far, no problems.

Mike Fields
    PC Technician

5. Phantom010

Norton again, figures... :rolleyes:

6. kirky2k2

kirky2k2 Thread Starter

Kudos to you my friend, thatÂ’s when the problem was found! It was strange that only a few machines were affected by this, I guess the other machines weren't on long enough for Symantec to roll out the updates I guess norton realised because no other issues have occured since this. This whole saga has reaffirmed my belief that Norton is pants. What's your opinion on Endpoint?

7. Phantom010

I don't want anything to do with Symantec, whatever the software.

Symantec creates so many conflicts with other applications, is hell to remove from a computer, even with the Norton Removal Tool, and its effectiveness is quite average. I've seen soooo many infected computers on this forum, that were using Symantec as their antivirus protection...

[​IMG]

8. kirky2k2

kirky2k2 Thread Starter

what alternatives would you suggest? bear in mind the reason we use symantec is because its provided for free

9. Phantom010

ESET's NOD32 (my personal favorite)

Kaspersky

BitDefender

Free ones:

Avira Antivir

MSSE

AVG

Avast

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/951819