1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Using a net work, on 3 computers, having problems.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Lori 1, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

We have three computers that are on a network,DSL Before I got my new computer with XP on it. All three hooked up fine, before this I got XP.

I had both my computers,2 and 3, setup pretty much as the same computer, password, setting, etc. I could had, both computers running at the sametime, with no problems.

Ok the problem I am having now since I have XP on one and 98 on the other,
    when I turn my third computer on, I have to shut off my XP computer, The second computer, I have to cancel the log in password.

I can get on the Internet, but when I try to update anti-virus or anything, I get the message that there are problems with my connection.

My question is: How can I run number,2 and 3 computer at the same time?
    I have been reading, and searching for an answer, but it just confuses me.

Networking seems to somewhat confuse me, but I so know a little about it.

I am assuming I need to set the 3rd computer up differently now, cause I am running two different versions of Windows now.
    Yeah I am confused of how to do that. Any help welcome. :confused:

2. blin

blin

I think you have TCP/IP settings issue. whic IP range do you use? posting the result of ipconfig may help. or check www.chicagotech.net for more information.

3. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

Thank you, blin

4. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

I bookmarked your link blin, and have read a few things on it, and wow that is way out of my league, and very confusing for me. But hopefully I can get it fixed. Somehow someway.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

On each computer, try and find out what IP address information they have.

With Win98 run WINIPCFG

With XP, Start / Run / cmd
    Then run IPCONFIG /all

Everything should be the same except for the actual IP address on each computer. You also don't want two computers with the same IP address. This seems to likely be part of the problem.

If the router is set up for DHCP, and each computer is configured to get an IP address automatically, this theoretically shouldn't happen. But I have seen the theory fail on more than on occasion.

6. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

I was able to make a picture of my settings on my Win 98 computer, but when I tried what you posted on my XP, all it did was, a DOS window popped up and was gone.
    {scratching my head}hummm????

7. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

I found out the reason, the DOS box popped up then disappeared is because, I was typing IPCONFIG/all in the run box. Duhhhh
    I was able to do as you ask, finally figuring it out.

The IP address was ***.***.*.101 on XP
    The IP address was ***.***.*. 102 on WIN 98

Evereything seems to be the same except the IP addresses:
    This computer is XP 101
    The Win98 is 102,

The Ethernet adapter information, does look somewhat different.
    XP: Ethernet Adapter: Local Area Connection
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix
    Description.... Realtek *******/801x Familyfast

WIN98 only has:
    Ethernet Adapter Information
    Linksys *******(**)Fast Ethernet

The only thing I can think of, after reading and studying these, is this is a Compac Presario, and there is a lot of junk they put on here, from when I got it. {Christmas.}

I did have somewhat of a problem setting it up, because our server is our browser, and from looking around, and reading things on the XP, I think Compaq has put some kind of connector on here. So maybe thats part of the problem.

We are through SBC-Yahoo Server, and the SBC, CD that I put on here, I was told is not no good anymore, which was part of the set up. So I had to download the new one, from there web sight

And the same SBC CD is on the WIN 98 computer.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you'd stop blanking the addresses on the IPCONFIG display, it would help. Those are private network addresses, and there's no security risk in sharing them. FWIW, I can even fill them in for you, 192.168.x.x? :)

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

You mention three computers but only showed the last IP digit on two of them. Can you show all the IP addresses from all computers.

Don't worry about the Ethernet Adapter Information. It is likely irrelevant.

10. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

Johnwill, I appologize for blanking the numbers out. I didn't know if I should type them in or not. XP is 192.168.0.1 and Win 98 is 192.168.0.2 Bob, Bret won't let me get on his computer which he is the first computer, he's gone a lot. I hope this helps

11. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

Maybe I can get them tomorrow though, or at least try to. Oh I forgot he always has his game CD in his computer, and his game, stopped where he left off.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

When you ran IPCONFIG /all, what was the gateway and dns address. Did this conflict with XP as 192.168.0.1.

13. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    DHCR and DNS Server: 192.168.01

14. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

The WIN98 was was the same but there was only: DHCR server 192.168.01

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Kinda what I figured.

You don't want to have a computer with the same IP address as your router.

So if your XP is 192.168.0.1, you should try changing it to another address that is not being used.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice