1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Using AT&T 313u Momentum Air Card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by buck1, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buck1

buck1 Thread Starter

Hello. As I stated in title, my internet access is the 313u usb modem(my only other choice is dial-up and HughesNet, ugh). I'm running Windows XP, sp3. My problem is getting to internet sites via either a URL I type in, a website link I click on, a shortcut on my desktop, links with a web page, etc. The air card shows connectivity with a good signal. At times, I can surf the web fine and then it's like a gremlin has taken over. One thing I've questioned, on other forums and to AT&T techs., when I do ipconfig/all, I come up with a DHCP server of 10.200.74.253 and DNS server addresses of 172.26.38.1 and 172.26.38.2. When either of these are pinged, they all time out. Knowing very little about all this, can someone tell me if this is normal. When the problem is present, the little circular icon in the URL window, supposed showing some sort of activity, just keeps spinning and spinning. Sometimes it stops with the "Internet Explorer cannot display this page." error message and at other times it just stops with a blank page. Something else that may or may not be of any consequence is the ridiculously long line of letters that show up in the URL window. Right now, things are working fine. I've clicked on several links on this page, they all opened fine and I didn't see the long line of letters in the URL. However, I just tried to open my homepage, Yahoo, in a new window, and it timed out. This is happening so consistently, it shouldn't be hard to find the cause. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very thankful for any help. Regards, Roy Shepherd

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Those three IP addresses you gave are all private, so only AT&T could tell you if they are supposed to be returning a response to ping.

I suspect that the gremlin is congestion in the cellular network, perhaps "too many" people trying to use the same cell tower simultaneously.

3. buck1

buck1 Thread Starter

Are you saying the three addresses are for AT&T use and no one else can use them? Also, we are on the computer into the wee hours of the morning, so I doubt that congestion is at fault. I've seen a post some where that said the 172.26.38.1 addresses showed up on his Comcast account. Still have a lot of unanswered questions.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No, I said that they are Private IP addresses. Anybody can use them, but they are not route-able over the internet. Hence, if I or anyone else not on your Gateway server tries to ping them there will be no response.

5. buck1

buck1 Thread Starter

I don't understand all the stuff about DHCP and DNS server addresses but AT&T seem to make it work, at least sometimes. Congestion wouldn't seem to be the problem because we are on the computer at 1:00 to 3:00 am. quite often, and still have the timing out, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". If you or anyone else has any ideas, please pass them on. Thanks

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you checked with AT&T to see if they are doing any upgrades or significant maintenance in your area?

7. buck1

buck1 Thread Starter

I've been on the phone with AT&T tech. support for hours. They always have me to unplug the modem(air card), uninstall the device in Device Manager,reboot the computer and plug the modem back in. This usually does no good. They also had me to download a "Watcher" program from Sierra Wireless(they make the air card). The "Watcher" replaced the Communication Manager from AT&T. That didn't change the results. However, I came across a Microsoft 'FixIt50199', that changes some TCPIP parameters, when it is run. After running the FixIt and rebooting, my browsing was much better and never once got the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". It looks like AT&T hasn't done a good job of engineering their software. By the way, they are not now, nor do they plan in the near future to improve service in my area. I'm going to consider this thread closed, since I can use the FixIt. Thanks for your time and effort.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Glad you found something that works.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1120596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice