Solved: using bookmarks in word doc wont work in IE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

baldrod

:confused: This is the deal. I use frontpage to make changes or additions to webpages that are on my server. What I'am trying to do is I created a hyperlink to a word doc and on the word doc I created bookmarks so when someone is in the index and they click on the selection it goes to the bookmark on the word doc. But what happens is after I save it to frontpage I can go to the webpage and I can click on the link and I can click on the index material and it takes me to the bookmark but there are several people in the office all on the same server that when they click on the index material it takes them to the top of the page not to the bookmark. But there are some of them that can click on it and get the same result I do. Also I noticed that some of the people who cant get it to work can open it in Netscape and it works just fine. Am I missing something or is there a setting in IE that I can have them all change to get it to work? I really dont want to copy and paste the word doc in a new page in frontpage because the spacing is all off and I would have to go thru the whole doc to get it to look right and it is a 64 page doc. Please Help everyone is using windows XP

Well first of all, a word document is not very web-friendly.

Second, if different people have different versions of Word installed (which is another thing to note - you need Word installed to view it. See below... there is a better option) the document may not look or operate the same.

Steps to fix:

You basically have two options here:
  1. Resave the file two an older Word format. This may cause problems however. Older versions of Word may not support hyperlinks or bookmarks, therefor eliminating your purpose.
  2. Convert the .doc file to PDF. Also note here that I have no clue how the hyperlink and bookmark stuff will work out. You can do this by using one of the free tools out there, or... If you feel comfortable, I can convert it for you using Adobe Acrobat Proffesional (this will increase the chances of the hyperlinks working out). Just send me a PM if you want to do it this way (with a link to the file or the file attached).

Hope this will solve your problem. Please reply if you have questions. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online