1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Using consumer Level motherboards with Server CPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mike360x1, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mike360x1

mike360x1 Thread Starter

I was looking around the web and thinking of a solution for a multipurpose computer...
    so I came across the solution of using a server with VMs. Just to let you know. I'm a first time server builder.

So I thought of starting from a motherboard. I thought of a consumer level motherboard. (Since I'm not looking for a 150$+ motherboard Server motherboards are too expensive also I don't need 3 PCI x2.0 Ports and there are some functions that consumer boards have that servers don't IE: UEFI by asus)

Anyways... I looked at some consumer boards.. Found this : http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131724
    it was nice. It satisfied my needs and it fit the bill. It had a LGA 1155 socket but under that it said: CPU types. and it showed i3 i5 and i7. I'm looking for a Intel Xeon series since they are more stable overclocked and have higher reliability since this might be on for 24 hrs.

So. enough talk.. heres my question. Would Server cpus be compatable with consumer motherboards like this one?

2. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

Just get an i7 and be done with it.

a server class CPU isnt made for that board, and an i7 is perfectly stable, I never shut mine down and it has never crashed. I run 3 server vm's in the backround while gaming on the same box, never stumbles.

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

Not sure why you'd want to overclock a processor on a server.

What is the function of this server anyway?

4. mike360x1

mike360x1 Thread Starter

Hmm... its possible.... However the server is going to be up 24/7... I'm not sure if you run your computer on for 24 hours and 7 days a week

This server will serve as a multipurpose server. (Music vid streaming, File storage, Recording software, Rendering Video that takes days to compile...)

In my opinion.. I believe that overclocking gives the CPU more power and all the more when that CPU is more stable. I always want to get any job done quickly and fast.. and I want realibility...

5. ChRoNo16

ChRoNo16

Yes I run my system 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, it works just fine.

Xeon CPU's are not really meant to be overclocked. You can overclock, but there is no reason if this is to be a server.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you want this high level of reliability and stability, why would you want to use a consumer grade motherboard and overclock the system? This makes no sense and most boards won't take Xeon processors as the support CPU list for the one you link too shows: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8H61M_LE/#CPUS

Are you also going to use enterprise level hard drives and RAID in this system? Reliably and performance here are critical here is you are using this for storage and rendering.

That said, I think an i7 system would be a better fit to your needs and requirements, there's millions of people who run their systems 24/7 with Core series processors.

7. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

As far as that goes, the company I am a partner in produces a line of embedded devices that are deployed in what could often be described as challenging environments. They run 24/7/365...and for at least one of our sites, if you miss the weekly boat to the island because the plane was late arriving, you have to wait for the next boat. When you get to the island, it is a 2 1/2 hour hike through the jungle to the site. Can't use a helicopter because there's no place to land. You may rest assured that we DON'T want to send service technicians to that site.

Our mobos are built for us, based on a particular commercial design, and we use i5 processors. We don't have hardware reliability problems.

8. mike360x1

mike360x1 Thread Starter

Ah I see.... thanks for your awesome suggestions..

Well... I was thinking of having a powerful Server with a good CPU and since high speed and quality CPUs of 3.0GHz or around are quite expensive... Ranging about $280-$350 my goal was to get a CPU that was cheaper and try and get the power of a $250 CPU one...

Also I'm assuming when I overclock it and then torture test it for any failures... it should give me a stable and a good amount of power...

The reason I'm using the consumer level motherboards (Actually ASUS boards) are because of the UEFI feature of the board... it's like a replacement for bios that is GREATLY improved!... It allows me to adjust speeds carefully... The voltage...the separate bus clocks... I'm also able to overclock with one physical motherboard with one button (or at least some models) That I can set to different increments.
    This way I have more control over my system.

Yes I will use a raid system... possibly a RAID 5...

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You don't need UEFI to get a large amount of settings, my several year old Asus Maximus Formula has hundreds of adjustments with its traditional BIOS as do many other motherboards; its about the market segment the board caters too not the type of BIOS it has that determines the settings it offers. Server and workstation boards don't offer these settings because those users demand stability over extreme bleeding edge performance and overclocking - overclocking and stability are on the opposite end of the scale.

Also you seem to be confusing reliability of processors with performance; a $50 processor is going to be as stable as a $300 processor, but offers less performance or features, processors are not really like other hardware where you get a cheap junk the less you pay.

10. mike360x1

mike360x1 Thread Starter

Ah I see... ok..
    I suppose I'll stick to an i7core and not overclock it....
    I see what you mean now... it makes sense..

thanks for your help

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice