1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Using fields as bullets in Word 2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by cristobal03, Aug 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cristobal03

cristobal03 Thread Starter

I was wondering if this was possible.

My mom wants me to write a template for school lesson plans. Each plan has several revisions, and each revision has several activity sets. For example, Lesson 1 might include Lesson Plans 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3. Lesson 1.1 might include activity sets A, B, C, D, and E.

She would like each activity set to exist in its own document, and at one point in the document she wants the activities listed ordinally while referencing the activity set, if that makes sense. In other words, she wants the activities listed 1a, 2a, 3a, 4a; 1b, 2b, 3b, 4b; 1c...etc., with each set being in a separate document.

I don't like the setup and I think she's duplicating information, but that's the way she says it has to be. Anyway.

Adding that letter to the bullets isn't difficult to do manually, but she's pretty computer illiterate so I need a way to do it automatically. I thought the easiest thing would be to use a FILLIN field to SET a bookmark, and REF the bookmark in the numbered bullet. I don't know if it's possible to insert a field into a list's ordination, though. Any ideas?

I have a couple other things I could try if I can't find a simpler solution. For example, I thought I might use a FILLIN field to grab the activity set, then use a macro to format the bullet style of the list in question.

Anyway, just thought I'd toss that out there, if anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

chris.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I don't like the setup, either. I think you're just asking for trouble. WHY does she want separate documents? Also, consider using Caption for the 1a, 2a...

3. cristobal03

cristobal03 Thread Starter

Sorry I didn't close this one sooner. I discussed her layout with her and we've worked out a better design. I'm going to mark this one solved, but just out of curiosity, is it possible to use fields as bullets? If you try to customize a numbered list's bullets, it appears that the ordinal is just a LISTNUM or AUTONUM field. But you can't create a field in the textbox, and you can't paste one in there either. I wonder, is there any way to script that using VBA?

Or, maybe, is there any way to create a style that has preset text (that could include field codes) at the beginning of each paragraph? This is bound to be possible, using the same principles that Word uses for bullets and numbering. I mean, those are just paragraphs with indentations and tab stops with a leading character or string. Aren't they?

Anyway, just wondering. Again, Word 2000.

[edit]
    By the way, captions--or actually, SEQ--wouldn't work for this particular application because you'd have to manually create the field at the beginning of every paragraph. I mean, I could manually get the effect, no problem. But Mom's not very good with computers (we're talking, if she can log on and open the right file she's pretty happy with her progress). So I needed to be able to get this done with a style. Like I said though, not an issue anymore. But I could use it in other applications if there was a way to do it.
    [/edit]

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!