1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Using ICS Through a Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by NSider, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NSider

NSider Thread Starter

Hey tech support guys!

I have an internet connection in my cell phone that I can share with my laptop through USB or Bluetooth. It's pretty fast, and good for online gaming. So, I thought it would be a good idea to use it on my Nintendo Wii for some Smash Bros and Guitar Hero. But the problem is, I cannot directly share the connection to my Wii because it doesn't have an ethernet port, so it doesn't accept a LAN connection without a special adapter. Moreover, it can't connect to an ad-hoc wireless network, so sharing directly from my laptop is out of the question.

I have a Linksys WRT54G lying around, and I thought it would be ideal if I can share the connection from my laptop to the router through an ethernet cable, and connect the Wii to the wireless network. How can I do this exactly? I already set my laptop to share the connection through LAN, but how should I set up the router?

1. Should I set up the router to be a 'switch' or a 'gateway'?

2. Do I connect the ethernet cable to the 'internet' port, or the numbered ports?

3. How should I handle the IP address of the router? Static or DHCP?

4. Any other things I should do?

Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Here's the recipe for configuring that router, the ICS machine is already acting like a router.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

3. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

I would suggest a different approach since ICS automatically uses 192.168.0.1 and .2 for the lan connection. It is important for ICS to work that your cell wireless connection can not be in that subnet range.

You will not be using the wireless routers wan port. You need to set the routers ip to .2 [static] and disable dhcp server service on it.

I don't know how the wii is network configurable. Can you set a static ip? If so that would be ideal. You would, in this case, set it to 192.168.0.3.
    Wii is at .3 [gateway .1]
    Router is at .2
    Laptop nic is at .1
    ICS is enabled between cell wireless connection and laptop nic.

That should be all there is to it.

4. JohnWill

HUN? I think you might want to rethink this statement. In addition, I see nothing wrong with the approach I suggested, and I can't imagine why there would be.

5. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Good catch JohnWill on not needing a crossover cable between nic and router. That would be correct

Your post did not take into account the usage of ICS or its requirements.

6. JohnWill

How did my post not take ICS into effect? What my configuration does is turn the router into a wireless switch, which seems to be what is called for here. FWIW, I've used that exact configuration on a system with ICS installed, and it worked just fine. ICS is already dishing out the DHCP addresses. The only issue here is if his cell phone happens to be on the 192.168.0.x subnet, then ICS simply won't work, neither of our configurations will handle that.

Another possibility if the IP address happens to be in that range is bridging the connection from the phone to the NIC and again using the same configuration for the router.

I think we need to know what the IP address supplied by the phone is.

7. JohnWill

NSider, with the laptop connected to the cellular service, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

8. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

JohnWill you have a standard post for configuring two routers chained together which starts with "Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together."

You applied the same post to ICS. What is not clear in your router post is the ics requirements of x.x.0.1 but can be read between the lines with "For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100".

The poster is not familiar with routing and would not see this.

That certainly does not clarify ICS requirement for the host nic with autoassigned .1

I tend to pattern my ICS posts after MS
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

Let's hope Nsiders cell isn't using 192.168.0.x [which is not likely] and from the above info can get is Wii online. Have a great day.

9. JohnWill

Well, I'll just have to change it to clarify what "two routers" are, since that confuses you. :)

10. NSider

NSider Thread Starter

Okay, I got my IP configuration here, and it's not looking good :(

I took this with my cell phone connected by USB, and the router connected by an ethernet cable:
    My cell phone (a Windows Mobile phone, actually) shares the connection using the same IP. I also thought it would be helpful if I posted the configuration pages of my router (I hope I'm not doing anything wrong):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes, I can configure the Wii to a static IP.

So, what to do?

11. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Wow, that's a lot of work.

Here's what I did. I used Verizon Wireless and my PocketPC cell phone.

I connected the cell phone to my laptop using the USB port. (You can also do this using Bluetooth.) Then, I bridged the cell phone to the network interface. Finally, I connected my D-Link router to the Ethernet port of my laptop using the WAN port of the router. (I made no changes to the router.)

Everyone can get to the Internet. The folks connected to the router are NATed, but anyone who needed direct access without firewalls just got put in the DMZ on the router.

I did not use ICS.

I did this when our network went down for a short time. Everyone in the class was still able to surf the Internet and get their mail.

Be aware that if you do this with your Verizon PocketPC, you can't make or receive calls while the phone is connected to the Internet.

Courtney

12. NSider

NSider Thread Starter

Bridging, huh? Strangely, I didn't think of doing that at all! Thanks for the tip.

I'll try it out later, but I think bridging is a little trickier in Vista..

13. NSider

NSider Thread Starter

The bridging actually worked! Thanks Courtney for the painless solution!

And big thanks to John and Wanderer, too. Sorry for wasting your time looking for a solution to the ICS problem.. bridging is just easier!

14. JohnWill

I think I mentioned bridging in post #6 as an alternative if your phone used the same subnet as ICS requires. :)

Glad you figured it out. :)

15. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

[​IMG]

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice