Solved: Using MS XP disc On Dell machine (Not OEM disc)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

captdavid1949

Machines:
Dell Dimension 4600i
BIOS ver;A12
IBM 10.4gb hdd (ata/ide)
Single partition (ext3) OS linux Fedora LXDE spin

Generic PC (Elderly)
Phoenix Bios
WD400 40gb hdd (EIDE)
Single Partition (NTFS) os XP pro Ver:2002 SP3

Situation:
Need to reconfigure so Generic Box is running 10gb hdd with fedora and dell box is
running 40gb hdd with windows and associated installed apps and data

Action:
Swap Drives

Results:
Generic Box boots Fedora (Some video drvr file need to be installed manually No
longer supplied with Fedora 17)
Runs fine "out of the box"

Dell box attempts to boot MS os on c:
Flashes BSOD (assume BSOD 7b, too fast to read) loops to restart, BSOD, restart, etc
Not unexpected as installed os is using installed drivers for hdware on original Generic box

Action:
Create bootable USB fdd using BartPE build from MS XP (sp3) install cd
Boot Dell box from USB to run "Repair" on C:
Note this is not OEM (Dell) cd. Dell box obtained with linux OS and no XP anything available so built from my own MS XP install disk used to install OS on Generic Box

Results:
Bios recognizes USB and starts boot
Inspecting Hardware
Starting BartPE
Window "Splash" appears with "loading bar" animated
BSOD 7b 0xf7cb0528, 0x00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000

Action:
Gnash Teeth and Curse
Assume Dell bios not playing well with XP disc other than its own proprietary xp
install.
Search web for similar issue, workaround, kludge, etc
Implement and try with results as above
Gnash Teeth and Curse
(repeat above 3 items in loop for 2 days)

Ask Here For Help

----------------------------------------
This situation is making me nuts! Why can't we all just get along? Assume the problem is conflict between dell box and MS Install vs Dell proprietary Most discussions of this are just way beyond my comprehension level Looks to me that there are some ini files somewhere that differ between Dell and MS versions Tried Replacing NTLDR (BartPE) version with NTLR from friends box (Dell running xp sp3) no fix.
Not a do or die situation, just don't like being told I cant do something this simple. Got images of the current MS os backed on a removable drive so while I would prefer not to brick the drive I am not worried bout loosing data. Really the only issue is getting a MS install disc to load on a Dell box... WTF?

Thanks for the chance to vent and will look forward to comments, logic faults, questions etc.

TIA
(time to put a dent in the rum supply)

Regards,
David

Cant you like flash a motherboard with a different bios im not sure how this would work but I woilld figure it could fix the issue

Triple6

Rob
Chances are it has nothing to do with the disc/CD but the moved hard drive. The CD is likely bluescreen when it looks at the hard drive/file system on the moved hard drive.

Super easy to test, boot the CD with NO hard drive connected and see if it loads all the way without bluescreening.

captdavid1949

After several days of wasted time, ended up cutting the apron strings and installing fedora on the drive.
Both boxes running fine

"My name is David and I have been Windows free for 3 days" :D

Tks for the input all

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online