1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Using multiple emails in Gmail in web browser and mobile devices

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Spade64, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spade64

Spade64 Thread Starter

My main address is a gmail account, and I also have an address with my school. I want to be able to use the gmail web interface for my school address, and be able to access both addresses from the Gmail apps for Android and iOS. Also, I want the two accounts separate in each interface, and when I reply to an email sent to either address, I want it to automatically respond from the address the email was received at (in both the web interface and mobile apps). The easiest way to do this would probably be to make a new Google account just for my school email, but that would mean having to log out and log into the other account in the web browser when I want to access it on my computer. This isn't a big deal, but I was wondering if I could accomplish this using one Google account.

Thanks!

2. Sponsor

3. VimmRa

VimmRa Banned

If the school's e-mail server supports POP or IMAP, just add the account to your existing Google account. I believe there are some options in the process that then allow you to send messages from that account.

4. Spade64

Spade64 Thread Starter

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure that won't meet my requirements. Keeping them separate in the web interface is easy with "Multiple Inboxes" but I don't think that would carry over to the mobile apps, and I don't think the default sender stuff would work either (though it might).

5. VimmRa

VimmRa Banned

It works for me. I have multiple e-mail accounts (Gmail and other), and they're all set up in one account. I can send from any of them on my Android phone.

6. Spade64

Spade64 Thread Starter

But does it separate them into separate inboxes on your phone and when you hit reply, it replies with the address you received the email at by default?

7. VimmRa

VimmRa Banned

You can't have separate inboxes if you want all of the accounts to be in one interface. Yes, you can reply from the address the message was sent to.

I wanted to add that you can use filters in Gmail to separate messages to the different accounts, but then you'd have to navigate to those filters in the Android interface.

8. Spade64

Spade64 Thread Starter

Okay, I set up another Google account (I had to get rid of Google+, which was really annoying), and I found a feature called multiple sign-in, which lets you be logged into multiple Google accounts at once. I added both accounts to the mobile addresses, and now everything works well. It's annoying that Gmail can't be used as an IMAP client though. Thaks for the help!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081194