1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: using Office 2010 AND Office 2002

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by JustJudy, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JustJudy

JustJudy Thread Starter

Here's the problem. I work for a school district and we have been using Office XP 2002 for years (and years and years :) ). We are going to be adding Office 2010. I was told they don't want to have just 2010 because some of the teachers that are set in their ways won't use it. I installed 2010 on my computer and also have 2002. When I try to open an Excel spreadsheet in a shared document it always opens in 2010. I even did "open with" and pointed it back to the Office 10 folder which contains Office 2002 and found the Excel exe. but it still opened in 2010 version. Same with Word and PowerPoint.
    Personally I think we should just put 2010 on and give some workshops, but they aren't going to do that. Has anyone else ran into this? Is there a solution?
    Thanks for any info you can give me! :)

2. pip22

pip22

The only simple solution is to have only one version of Office installed, otherwise you risk running in to all manner of problems. Someone must make a stand -- Office 2010 will be the new mantra, so get used to it!

3. bomb #21

bomb #21

(Assuming that it works) they'll have to open Excel "old version" first & then use CTRL+O plus "navigation".

Maybe they'll get fed up with that before long. :)

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Yes, when ever using two or more versions of Office, the older version of the program must be opened and then the file must be opened. This has been a long time issue with running more than one version.

By the way, you can not run two versions of Outlook.

5. bomb #21

bomb #21

I can't run one version of Outlook ... which is an agreeable state of affairs, IMO. :D

6. JustJudy

JustJudy Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your input. We won't be using Outlook. :) As I said I would prefer them to use just 2010 and give workshops but Nooooooo. :( I have never used ctl O plus navigation before- As soon as I am back in work I will give that a try.
    Thanks again!

P.S. Bomb#21, sorry to hear about your bent Wookie

7. JustJudy

JustJudy Thread Starter

Bomb#21 and DaveA,
    I tried your suggestions and it worked. Thank you so much!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/988540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice