1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Using Sata Ide hard drives togher a few questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adohrn, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adohrn

adohrn Thread Starter

Using windows xp home service pack 2. Mother board is a gigabyte GA-K8nsc-939 with sata connectors. Currently using the maxtor 500gb sata II drive as master with windows xp on it. Have jumpered the 120 gig western digital ide drive as a slave and using it for storage. Everything seems to be working.

Questions?
    1 Does the ide drive need to be jumpered as slave?
    2 For some reason I have plugged the ide drive into the end of the cable which is where you would normally put the master is this ok?
    3 Will using an older and slower drive (the 120 gig ide which is 66 or 100) slow the system? From what I remember if you had 2 ide drives in a system it would run at the speed of the slower drive.

Thanks for any help. Together to bad I can't edit titles.

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Welcome to TSG!

If it's the only IDE drive in the system, it should be jumpered as Single, or Master with no slave.

The IDE and SATA controllers are separate, so using a slow IDE drive will not slow access to the SATA drive. Mixing different speed IDE drives on the same controller should also have no affect, each drive should be accessed at it's "native speed" (up to the fastest speed of the controller, of course).

Jerry

3. adohrn

adohrn Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. Will rejumper the drive. I'am also glad to hear I can use the ide without slowing system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice