Solved: Using two different GPUs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chart2006

I know that Nvidia allows for the use of two different GPU's such at an 8800GT and a GTX 280 utilizing the better one for graphics while unloading the physX onto the 8800 however my question is in relevance to the technology. Both GPU's mentioned are DX10 so no problems however I currently have a GTX280 and would like to eventually jump up to the GTX480 however the 280 is based off DX10. Will this be a problem when trying to run both on the same platform?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Nope, shouldn't be a problem with Directx versions. Not sure how much benefit you'll have from using two cards rather then the 480 for everything.

chart2006

Not sure how much either but at least it will put the 280 to use instead of sitting on the shelf. Even a slight increase would still be beneficial I think. Especially when tessellation becomes more widely used in future games that way some work is taken off the 480. ESPECIALLY with the power requirements of the 480. The less work on that gpu the better. lol! I've got in total a 1200W PSU so power isn't too much of an issue but I'd still like to keep my electric bill down.

I have one last question. Would I still be able to do this on a non-SLI mobo? I have an ASUS M4A79XTD-EVO mobo which has crossfire support but not SLI.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Yes, it would just require another PCI-Express slot, not even another x16 slot.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!