1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Using WRT54G V8 as Access Point?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Crispy3M, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crispy3M

Crispy3M Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

I'm still Googling the net, but hoped that someone here might have a link to a "Fix" for my project.

A friend has purchased two Linksys WRT54G V8's. He has one installed at his house and it is working well as a Wireless Router. The other he has given to his neighbor, and run a LAN cable to the neighbor’s house. The neighbor wants to use the Wireless Router as an Access point. I'm pretty sure it can be done, but don't know the settings needed to use the WRT54G as an Access point.

The cable is presumed good as it was previously used to run a dedicated Access Point before the Access Point died.

Any links to the settings would be appreciated. (Settings for the Linksys WRT54G)

Cheers,

Chris

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

can't the neighbor just pickup the signal, i see stuff around me, encrypted and open.

how many feet of rj-45 cable?

fwiw:
    before i changed to the linksys 54g, i was using the bfsr41/hardwired router and ran a cable from one of the ports to the proxim wap for wireless, configured the card/wep and it worked great.

the card had it's own manager for setup.

3. webiotas

webiotas

I have played the game with the linksys wrt54gV8 and trying to use it as a bridge. There is firmware to convert the wrt to an access point, and it is very good stuff. Unfortunately, it does not work on V8. If you go to dd-wrt.com, you can find out whats going on. There are guys on there working on the V8. Apparently, there is not as much memory in the V8 so it will not load the firmware properly. Also, dont try to use one of the Linksys Access points (V3) as a wireless repeater...they are not compaitble with the V8 wrt54g....I was on the phone for sometime when the "tech" finally referred to his "compatibility sheet" which indicates they are not compatible, and are not sure when the fix will be out.

4. Crispy3M

Crispy3M Thread Starter

Thanks anyway guys...

I finally found an old Tom's Hardware link that explained how to do it in a couple steps.

It's working great!

I'll leave this here for a day or so and delete it.

Mods, please feel free to delete.

Chris

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

6. webiotas

webiotas

I did not read the part about the cable. I thought you wanted to use it as a bridge. That is not possible yet in the V8...but they seem to be working on it. (dd-wrt)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice