1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Using XP but unable to download .MOV files from Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Nflder, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nflder

Nflder Thread Starter

Just purchased a Canon Elph 320HS and am delighted with it! BUT when I plug in camera to my computer and turn it on some program (I suspect it is Windows XP) starts downloading the pictures but screws up some of the .mov video files - some are downloaded OK but others just show the file name but have zero bytes. I cannot determine what program detects the camera and starts downloading before I can cancel it. It's a program that I need to stop (or at least have control of) before turning the camera on. If the Canon program ImageBrowser EX and Utilities CameraWindow DX (part of ImageBrowser EX) are running when I turn the camera on, I get a window entitled "Synchronize Persons" telling me that "The camera cannot be connected because imageBrowser EX is running. Exit ImageBrowser EX and click [retry]". I called Canon (twice) and they cannot advise me as they are not aware of what the OS might be doing – they suggested I call Microsoft!!! I'm sure this is not the first time you've heard that XP cannot download .mov files - so please give me some guidance here. Thanks in advance...

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. Nflder

Nflder Thread Starter

Thanks etaf but I'm still lost!!! I am unable to locate autoplay in XP unless it is associated with the DVD/CD drive. I'm running Win XP Media Center Edition ver 2002 SP 3 on a Gateway MX6930 laptop (Canadian). I realy appreciate your help - thanks

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you attach the camera
    can you see it in my computer
    if you then right click do you get any options or autorun , where you can choose the program to use

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try disabling Windows Image Acquisition Service, or terminating Imagebrowser from Canon, so that at least you would have just one program trying to access the camera at one time. If you have not done so, check the Control Panel for the Cameras and Scanners applet (which I believe exists on XP).

6. Nflder

Nflder Thread Starter

Late last night I had a breakthrough!!! When I use Explore to display things I saw the camera but it did not have a drive letter assigned so I did not treat it as a drive and never RIGHT clicked on it... Well last nite I did right click on it... Oh! boy I wish I had done that a few days ago! There was Properties that gave me what I had been searching for. Click on Events tab to bring up the whole setup... "Select an event" and I chose Camera connected, then "Start this program" I browsed to Canon CameraWindow and I was done. Now when I connect the camera I get the Canon program that is able to download .mos files properly. Thanks for your suggestions.

etaf: Can see camera in My Computer and right click to get to properties thence to above.

Elvandil: Cameras & Scanners is Scanners & Cameras (ha) in XP but your right and its listed and right clicking brings up Properties and then to above.

Thanks... I’ll mark this one solved..... My next computer will definitely be a Mac

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    (y) thanks for letting us know

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083700

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice