1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: V. slow wifi download speed...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bernsinlanc, Jul 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bernsinlanc

bernsinlanc Thread Starter

I have un-installed and re-installed my Linksys E1200 wireless N300 router several times, and can only achieve about .5 MBPS d/l and ~6.0 MBPS u/l data speeds, on a 3 year old HP laptop, running Windows 7. This is wireless service, and the laptop is within 4 feet of the router. I have Comcast service on my desktop, and my "connected" normal d/l speed is ~30 MBPS, with ~5 MBPS u/l. Don't know what else to do. I have connected the laptop directly to the modem, and get 30 MBPS speed, so there is something I'm missing in the wireless router setup.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6500 @ 2.93GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4060 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset, 1806 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 356273 MB; D: Total - 599999 MB, Free - 446704 MB; E: Total - 353865 MB, Free - 246417 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., G41M-ES2L
    Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Updated and Enabled

Any ideas?
    bernsinlanc

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I think you posted your PC specs but we need to see the laptop specs. Which model HP laptop is it ?

3. bernsinlanc

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8126 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, -256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 282513 MB, Free - 215908 MB; D: Total - 17306 MB, Free - 2621 MB; E: Total - 5110 MB, Free - 2185 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 167C
    Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Updated and Enabled

The laptop is an HP Probook 4530S

Thanks in advance
    bernsinlanc

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Thanks for that info. I think you have the wireless speeds the wrong way round in your first post, D/L is usually faster than U/L, can you confirm that please ?

If the D/L speed is 6.0 Megabytes/second that equals 48 Mbits/s and that's not too bad for wireless N which your Router uses.

You never get the rated speed which is only theoretical.

5. bernsinlanc

Allan--
    Nope, that's what I get. Around 0.35 MBPS to 0.58 MBPS DOWNLOAD, and I routinely get 5.8 to 6.1 MBPS UPLOAD. Makes no sense to me, either. Oh, and this is not the first router so afflicted--I had a Linksys EA9200 which yielded about the same results--more speed upload, than down. (That had other issues, and had to return it.) BTW, I tested speeds @ Bandwidthplace.com and Speedtest.net--the results are similar.

Bernsinlanc

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That's very weird. I'll have to think about this one.

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  8. bernsinlanc

Allan-
    I am very happy to report that I found a you-tube about this very same issue. The author had d/l speeds of 0.5 MBPS and u/l speeds of 5MBPS, while in wifi. The problem was solved by going into the router setup, then click on applic. & gaming. See/click on "QOS " in the drop-down menu, and then see WSM Support. The default setting for this is "enabled"--change it to "disabled". Turns out that the original setting will help prevent interference while using Skype, which I do not use. Save this change, and expect a long pause (5 min. or more), or just disconnect and reboot. Disconnected both my modem and the router, plugged them back in, and I now have 30 MBPS d/l(!!), and still have 6 MBPS u/l speed. Truly amazed, actually.
    BTW, thanks for your efforts on my behalf.

bernsinlanc

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That's great, well done. (y)

(If you're sure it's fixed please mark this topic 'Solved').

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1151354

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice