1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Various problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FayePrefect, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FayePrefect

FayePrefect Thread Starter

Hello, I have been having multiple computer problems stemming from long ago to things that started just a few days ago.

Problem one: I know what causes this, however if anyone knows how to stop it that would be great. My computer will completely freeze, even during use. The mouse will stop, the video I'm watching will stop, no sounds, and the only way to get out of it is a hardboot. And I know this is caused by my wireless card, it started when I installed it. I have tried using the disk it came with and also using windows to find the drivers on the internet. It's frustrating to deal with but manageable.

Problem two: This started when I installed a new CPU, and extra stick of RAM, and a replacement slave drive. it went fine for the first day, then the second day my computer started shutting off the monitor, like it was in standby mode, but nothing I did brought it back. My only option was to hardboot to get it back on. I uninstalled my slave drive and and cleaned my video card and that stopped this problem. But when I did that...

Problem three: My internet browsers stopped working. Firefox would go a random time anywhere from instantly to ten minutes, and would crash. just close right up, some times it would give me the option to send a report to Mozilla, sometimes not. So I switched to Chrome, but that crashes the second I open it. I have tried disabling all the plugins but that didn't do anything.

Problem four: Now anything I open will stay for a few minutes before "so and so has encountered an error and must close" pops up. Steam, any video games I'm running, all of it.

I am going to put my old CPU back in and try that, but I also thought I'd get some people to bounce some other ideas that could cause these things, as I did some googling and other people have had a few of these problems and it wasn't from upgrading. (basically just hoping it's not my new gear -_-)

EDIT: I should also mention that when I was backing up my data to a flashdrive, my computer restarted itself. This was just before problem 4 started happening.

Old specs:
    2.4GHz Pentium 4
    1.5GB memory
    Windows XP professional SP3
    320GB Hard drive, recently formatted so it's fairly fresh, with 30GB slave

Upgrades:
    2.8GHz pentium 4
    2GB memory
    320GB slave

2. dai

dai

what are you running
    video card brand and model
    cpu
    m/board
    ram
    power supply
    brand
    model
    wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and cpu temperatures and post them

3. FayePrefect

I'll be as thorough as possible for you. This is a built computer, and not using any of the integrated ports.
    cpu: Intel Pentium4 2.8GHz 533MHz 512KB Socket 478
    RAM: two 1 gig DDR DIMM non-ecc PC2100
    Video card: Nividia Geforce 7300 GT (AGP)
    Power supply: not sure what brand it is but it's 400w
    Mobo: Matsonic-MS9337C using phoenix technologies.
    CPU temp: 34c
    Voltage is proper.

4. dai

dai

5. FayePrefect

It does not have any bad capacitors.
    However I took out my new RAM stick and it appears to no longer have any of these problems. (other than the one caused by my wireless card). Firefox has not shut down, none of my .exes have any errors since, nor has my computer restarted itself. For now.

6. dai

dai

is the new ram stick rated the same as the old one and run at the same voltage,as it sounds like it may be mismatched

7. FayePrefect

it is exactly the same as the other one; DDR non-ecc PC2100 184pin, voltage 1.4 both of them

8. dai

dai

the volts at 1.4v seem very low for ddr ram

check the voltage range on the makers site,the m/board may be volting to low and you may need to set it manually

9. FayePrefect

I'm sorry that should have read 2.4v which is the proper specs for it. Anyway I have been running my computer intensively for the last day playing videogames with the new CPU in but the new memory out, and it has not had any of the problems I listed. So it has been solved and I have returned the faulty stick.

However if you have any suggestions for problem one, I'm open ears.

10. dai

dai

what card did you put in

11. FayePrefect

Realtek RTL8188CU USB network adapter.

12. dai

dai

13. FayePrefect

Right. Like I didn't think of that. I appreciate your help Dai, but I'm just gonna call this solved. I've given up on fixing the first problem, and all the other problems were faulty RAM.
    Thank you.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice