1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Various Win 7 Issues

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dunc453, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dunc453

dunc453 Thread Starter

Hello there everybody

Long time since I have posted here but quite frankly I am at a complete and utter loss right now, so assistance is required!

So lets start with some background information... a couple of weeks ago I decided my PC was being too slow and it was time for its once every two year upgrade. So I decided I would start by just upgrading the RAM and the Hard Drive. So I went ahead and bought myself a WD Veloci Raptor and a 32GB Corsair memory kit (excessive I know but hey ho).
    After a ball aching 5 hours spent trying to get the PC to recognise the hard drive, I finally got it working with a fresh windows install.

All was going swimmingly, performance was incredibly after the upgrades, it was even running cooler than ever somehow! That was until yesterday, at which point, for the first time since I got the new hard drive, windows decided to goto sleep (previously I had turned it off before this had happened), and when I tried to wake it up I had some problems.

The first issue was that it refused to startup correctly, it hung at the Win7 loading screen and never made it to login. Once it had restarted it suggested I do startup repair, I ignored this for the first few times, however the problem persisted so I let it do its thing, waited whilst it did startup repair, fully expecting it to work perfectly on the next restart. However this was to no avail and the same problem occured again and again, for a good hour I attempted windows fixes. Startup repair from the windows installation disc, system restore, memory check (found no errors), disk check (found no errors).

However I did manage to, eventually, get into the login screen, but once I typed my password in I got a new problem, a BSOD. First of all it was error code
    Code:
    0x3D: INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.
    So I did some research into this and tried to debug it, I tried taking the hard drive out and putting it back in again, tried changing the BIOS settings from IDE to AHCI and back to IDE again, but all to no avail. After a few more restarts i got another error on the BSOD, this time it was 0xF4. After trying again and again to debug this issue, I gave up and went for a windows reinstall.

At first I thought this was a surefire way to fix the issue, install windows on the same hard drive, it would move all the files to windows.old, fix the issues and then I could just reinstall drivers and transfer what I needed across again.

This seemed to work fine, however startup and login was slow as on the previous install. Then I started installing the drivers and I started to notice more issues, windows explorer would randomly stop responding, then everything would freeze up and then it would either start working again after a few minutes, or restart without a BSOD. This was very frustrating as I was in the middle of reinstalling drivers etc, I managed to reinstall the most of the drivers, all the motherboard ones, but I had no luck with the video drivers. The BSOD's however started again, with the same errors as before.

After checking the event viewer I have found a number of issues which happened just before the BSOD / random restarts. Unfortunately however I am unable to post the log as everytime I come to try and copy it I get a random restart. What I can tell you however is that the issue that keeps coming up just before the restart is this:
    Code:
    wuaueng.dll SUS20ClientDataStore: The version store has reached its maximum size.
    One last thing to add is that I have tried booting into safe mode, both on the previous and current install, but both times it hangs on classpnp.sys.

At a complete loss here so any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks very much
    Duncan

System specs from TSG SysInfo:

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Your motherboard specs show it only supports a max of 24GB: http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/Rampage_III_Extreme/#specifications so you could start by removing some of the RAM.

I suspect the new hard drive is a SATA, in which case why have you got it running in IDE mode?

Why do you feel there is a need for so much memory, if you don't run any programs that are going to use all of it there is no advantage to be gained from having it?

Have you overclocked anything, if so drop it back to defaults.

wuaueng.dll is related to Windows Update, is the system updating?

3. dunc453

dunc453 Thread Starter

Hi again,

Yeah I only have 24GB of the RAM installed as I know thats the maximum for the motherboard.
    As for the hard drive it is running in IDE mode as it was not recognised at all as a SATA drive for some reason, I researched this problem also and it seemed that setting it to IDE in the BIOS would make it work, and it did.

Nothing is overclocked and I have tried resetting the BIOS to default settings several times, however it seemed to make no difference.

Windows is trying to update, and I get the feeling it may fix some of the issues, however I have, so far, been unable to download and install the update. It seems that most of the crashes take place whenever I am doing a large file operation, for example I attempted to copy some files over from windows.old and midway through it crashed, whether it is related or now however I do not know.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Do you still have the old RAM, try running it for a while with the old sticks installed, see if that helps.

As for the updates problem try this:

• Click Start and type cmd in the Search box then right click on cmd in the pop up and select Run as Administrator. This will open the Command Prompt window, at the Command Prompt, type net stop wuauserv and press Enter (Leave the Command Prompt open).
    • Click Start and type %windir% in the Search box and press Enter.
    • Double-click the SoftwareDistribution folder.
    • In the opened folder, rename the folder Download to Download.old.
    • Also rename the DataAtore folder.
    • Go back to the Command Prompt and type net start WuAuServ and press Enter.
    • Close all the open windows and see if the update problem is resolved.

NOTE: After resolving this Windows Update issue, please feel free to delete the Download.old and the DataStore.old folders

The BSOD error codes don't tell me much without seeing the Minidumps but they could both be related to the DataStore error, see if you get any more when the above renaming is done and let me know if that fixes the update issue.

I'm not sure why your system would not recognize the drive but in IDE mode it won't be running as fast as it can. Did the Bios detect the drive before you installed Windows and are the SATA ports all enabled? Is there another hard drive installed, was the previous drive SATA or IDE?

5. dunc453

dunc453 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply, I tried the solution you gave to the updates problem and I am now able to fully download the update, but it still BSODs during the installation of the updates.
    I have found the minidump's and I can upload them if that would help?

The BIOS has never recognised the drive as a SATA drive, only as IDE, no other hard drives are installed at this time, and the previous drive was SATA.

Thank you again for your help, it is much appreciated :)

Update:

I tried to install the updates again and this time it gave me a proper error rather than just restarting or BSODing.
    It said installation was not successful in relation to windows service pack 1, and that I should download and run the "check for system update readiness" tool. So i downloaded this tool and it said I needed a hotfix for windows (KB947821). So I tried to install that but it was not installed.

After doing that I then did what you said to stop windows update service again, and then renamed the folders. By doing this the hotifix did not immediately have a problem with installing, but at about 95% I got another BSOD.

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, please upload the minidumps as they may give us a clue. You will need to zip them up before sending them as an attachment.

• Below the Message Box click on Go Advanced. Then scroll down until you see a button, Manage Attachments. Click on that and a new window opens.
    • Click on the Browse button, find the zip folder you made earlier and click on it so it becomes highlighted.
    • Now click on the Upload button. Wait for the Upload to complete, it will appear just below the Browse box.
    • When done, click on the Close this window button at the top of the page.
    • Enter your message-text in the message box, then click on Submit Message/Reply.

I assume your PC was running OK before you replaced the hard drive and RAM, as I suggested earlier try running it with the old RAM fitted and have another go at installing that hotfix.

You could also try hooking up the hard drive to another PC and see if that will recognize it. There is always a small possibility that the new drive is faulty, it can and does happen from time to time.

7. dunc453

dunc453 Thread Starter

Right, I have now uploaded the mini dumps so they should be available for you to take a look at and hopefully shed some light on! :)

In actual fact the PC wasnt running okay before I replaced hard drive / ram, the main reason I replaced the hard drive was because it failed and I lost all my data on it. That is what prompted my reinstall, however once I eventually got windows to work on the new hard drive it was working perfectly with the new hardware, absolutely fantastic. Then all of a sudden I lost the ability to boot into windows and thats what made me reinstall windows. However I will try and do the hotfix with the old ram as you suggested.

Thanks again for your dedicated help :)

Attached Files:

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

Several of those minidumps indicate Input/Output errors and two of them name the error as being caused by the hard drive, but that does not eliminate the RAM.

If the problem persists with the old RAM fitted then we need to look at the hard drive, the fact that you suddenly lost the ability to boot raises my suspicion that it could be the cause and the problem of the system not recognizing it. The drive may be new but I have seen them fail before.

It might be a good idea to do this on another PC and then boot the faulty system with the CD.

Open Internet Explorer and click on this: Seatools

Save the download to your desktop.

In Windows 7 right click the ISO file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts.
    For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to Write image file to disc and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file on your desktop. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

You will need a blank recordable CD or a re-recordable CD. You cannot use this software on a USB flash drive.

When the CD has been burned boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into DOS. Click on Basic Tests and select the Long Test.

A full set of instructions can be found here: Seatools instructions

When the test completes it will show a Pass or Fail.

9. dunc453

dunc453 Thread Starter

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay in my reply. Just thought I would update you on the situation as it stands now.

I tried what you suggested and the drive was fine. At this point I decided I was going to purcahse windows 8, and just do a fresh install. As a result everything is now working fine and I haven't had a single problem since!

Thank you very much for your assistance, it is much appreciated :)

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

Ok, thank you for the update and you're welcome.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!