1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Various Wireless Problems with Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Networking' started by seanmt, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

bare with me as I kinda wrote this as I went along in notepad due to not being able to post it on the internet due to a poor connection........

Hello, I am using a Sitecom Wireless Network PCI Adapter MiMoXR WL-151 but I am having all sorts of wireless network problems trying to connect my desktop, running Windows Vista Business 64-bit to my Linksys WRT54G. I have a Windows XP Laptop that connects fine (wireless/wired) and my old desktop which ran Windows Vista Business 32-bit. I did have a few little problems connecting at first with that but it seemed to sort itself out after a few driver updates and changing the wireless security etc...

I ran the speedtest on Zdnet (http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/speedtest/) 5 times at roughly 11:30AM the results were:

Run 1: 80 KBS
    Run 2: 32 KBS
    Run 3: 34KBS
    Run 4: 13 KBS
    Run 5: 8 KBS.

This is supposed to be on a Virgin Media 10mb Broadband connection where I can easily achieve 450-500 kB/s download speeds on my laptop (wireless) and my old desktop computer running Windowns Vista Business (wireless).

Later that day around 3pm it decided to stop connecting to the wireless network and just showing the "Wireless association failed due to an unknown reason." message. I ran some more speedtests on the same site at 4.50pm and the results this time were:

Run 1: 49 KBS
    Run 2: 1767 KBS
    Run 3: 1962 KBS
    Run 4: 812 KBS
    Run 5: 1196 KBS.

Much better speeds, but not what I used to get on my last desktop.

I then got a notification from Windows Update that an update was available for my network card, information below. Before this I had the Vista 64 drivers that were on the installation cd.

#################################################
    Ralink Technology Corp. - Networking - Sitecom Wireless Network PCI Adapter MiMoXR WL-151

Download size: 141 KB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Optional

Ralink Technology Corp. Networking sofware update released in May, 2007

More information:
    http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20049742

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub
    ################################################

After the update the driver details are; Driver Date 11/05/2007, Driver Version: 2.0.4.0.

So after the update I restarted the computer and ran some more speedtests. Results as follows:

Run 1: 66 KBS (816 kbits downloaded in 12.285 sec)
    Run 2: 38 KBS (816 kbits downloaded in 21.231 sec)
    Run 3: 41 KBS (816 kbits downloaded in 19.983 sec)
    Run 4: 44 KBS (816 kbits downloaded in 18.664 sec)
    Run 5: 19 KBS (816 kbits downloaded in 42.573 sec)

So that update recommended by Windows Update seems to have made the connection speed even worse as I am now getting speeds less than a 56K modem everytime.

As soon as I did this I also ran some speedtests on my laptop which is running XP and is next to my desktop. It got about 2200 KBS on each speed test.

Then I decided to change the wireless security back to WEP. I connected with no problems. Ran a few more speed tests (at 5.45pm) and the results were:

Run 1: 1766 KBS (7816 kbits downloaded in 4.425 sec)
    Run 2: 1086 KBS (7816 kbits downloaded in 7.194 sec)
    Run 3: 1506 KBS (7816 kbits downloaded in 5.191 sec)
    Run 4: 1339 KBS (7816 kbits downloaded in 5.838 sec)
    Run 5: 1282 KBS (7816 kbits downloaded in 6.097 sec)

So it seems ok at the moment but it did do this at one point yesterday before deciding to screw up again.

I've checked on my routers online admin panel and under wireless status the signal strength for my desktop is always below 10%, this is probably the main reason. Even though my laptop is sitting right next to it that has a signal strength of 32%. The network card in my pc though has 3 aerials so I would have thought it would be stronger than a network card on a laptop. The distance between the router and desktop pc is probably about 10 metres maximum and they are seperated by 1 wall.

Hmmm just 15 minutes after the last tests my internet speed dropped again from 30 KBS -300 KBS. So does anyone have any ideas as to why the speed keeps dropping and speeding up at random intervals?

2. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

Any ideas or things I could try as it is still happening? It's a right pain the the behind.

3. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

Somsone must have at least something I could try. Anyone?

4. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

Please can someone help, it is still happening!

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you looked for sources of wireless interference? Have you tried changing the channel on the router?

6. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

I have tried changing channels, no change. As for interference we do have a cordless phone & microwave but they are never near the router or pc.

7. JohnWill

It may simply be the drivers for 64 bit Vista. I abandoned the 64 bit version due to driver issues.

8. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

Hmmm I have a copy of Windows Vista Business 32-bit as well but I had it installed on my old computer which I no longer use. Would I be able to install that again and use the same product key or would I need to purchase another copy?

9. JohnWill

I'm pretty sure the product keys for Vista 64 are a different sequence than the 32 bit keys. That would be a question for Microsoft, I could be wrong...

10. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

Sorry I meant use my 32-bit product key again as I used it on my old computer before.

11. JohnWill

Nope, you can't use the key on multiple installations.

12. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

Hmmm right well I tried putting a different HDD into the computer (one with XP & Vista 32-bit installed) and it wouldnt load up all I got was...

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

Even when I switched hard drives back it still gives me this error so I cannot load the computer anymore. How can I fix it?

13. JohnWill

Your machine is probably configured to boot from the hard disk first, and not the CD/DVD drive. Change the boot order in the BIOS.

14. seanmt

seanmt Thread Starter

Hmmm I havn't changed any BIOS settings but for some reason it is booting fine again, I didn't make any changes at all just simply fired up the pc after a day of being switched off. Strange.

15. JohnWill

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice