1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Vertical lines during startup...BSOD W7 Home premium

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wotter, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wotter

wotter Thread Starter

When I start my computer there are vertical lines across my sceen during boot followed by BSoD when windows loads where I believe "nvlddmkm.sys" is blamed. Looking at the crash dump in bluesceenview, "dxgkrnl.sys" is listed as the driver causing the crash.

I've tried updating my drivers from Nvidia, however, since the problem starts before the boot, I'm wondering if it's not a hardware related issue? The same type of crash happened a few times before recently, but when I restarted the lines were gone and windows loaded normally. Now I can only start windows in fail-safe mode. There are no vertical lines across the screen during fail-safe start or when windows has started in fail-safe mode

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium with a Gigabyte GA-M55S-S3 motherboard and Geforce 7300 gs graphics card

Unfortunately, I don't have another graphics card to see if that's the problem so what I'm wondering is if there's any way to tell if the problem is motherboard or graphics card related? Testing software for graphics card does not seem to work in fail-safe mode.

Attached Files:

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    dxgkrnl.sys is a DirectX file

Google search that file, and you will see many reference to that file and nVidia resulting in BSOD.

There appear to be numerous causes: nvidia drivers not properly installed, nvidia driver version/hardware conflicts, third party app conflicts with the nvidia drivers, and even hardware faults

3. wotter

wotter Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply, Oddba11.

Yea, I did I search for the files mentioned and found that they were related to DirectX and nvidia drivers so I tried re-installing/updating those. No luck. However, while I am very much an amateur regarding these things, I was wondering if the fact that the graphic problem starts as soon as the computer comes on (Gigabyte boot logo) doesn't indicate that the problem is related to either graphics card or mother board? Or problem in Bios?

Maybe there's no way of actually knowing, but I guess I was hoping for some educated guess. And that said guess would be graphics card related. Either way, I guess I'll try and find a cheap graphics card tomorrow and cross my fingers that that works. I don't play games on my computer so I really don't need a completely new computer...unless I do, because it's really the mother board that causes the problems.

4. wotter

wotter Thread Starter

New graphics card solved the problem

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!