1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Very Annoying Logitech Setpoint Problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Kookiedo, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kookiedo

Kookiedo Thread Starter

I am having an annoying problem with Logitechs setpoint 6.51 software. Upon boot I get a UAC warning for two logitech files. 1_spp_Q4004.exe and 2_spp_10000a0.exe. They are located in what I believe to be a temp folder: D:\Pollux Win7Pro\AppData\Local\TMP\lu. I cannot find any real info on these files and what they are for. I want to run the setpoint software because I want to customize some features with certain software. Can anyone help me find out why these files run and why it brings up a UAC warning?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Have you checked to see if you the latest versions and drivers for your hardware?

3. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    I had a similar problem with that version: 6.51.8 which is the current version. I took mine back to the previous version: 6.32.7 which fixed the problem. I cannot find this older version for your OS 64bit. Will keep looking.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Is the "D" drive in your Clevo P15xEMx laptop an external USB hard drive, or does it have an internal 750 GB hard drive in "C" and "D" partitions?

-------------------------------------------------------

5. Kookiedo

Kookiedo Thread Starter

Yes checked version, current, and yes 64 bit. Uninstall, reinstall. Even deleted that “lu” folder.

Found and tried just setpoint651_x64.exe not the smart version (setpoint651_smart.exe). Uninstalled that and tried an old version setpoint620_x64.exe. Still creates that lu file folder with those weird files that run.

I am at quite a loss here as to what this is and why it happens. This is an odd one and doesn't seem to be a popular problem at all. not much info to go on. Challenging to say the least.

BTW, no D is not external. One partitioned drive C & D.

I have a similar post at logitech. Not much help there yet. Figured you guys would be more help then logitech anyway, lol. I have yet to tell you the insanely stupid conversation with logitech on the phone with this. I might as well called someone’s grandma (with a limited grasp of the english language) for help.

Thanks for input so far.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Not to get off the main subject here, but your TSG specs shows the hard drive in your laptop as having a capacity of 690.62 GB and having only 29.22 GB of free space left.

If all that personal data is important and irreplaceable to you, hopefully you have it backed up to some reliable external media.

---------------------------------------------------------

7. Kookiedo

Kookiedo Thread Starter

LOL, Yeah, I DL alot of stuff. Movies and TV shows. I don't have cable TV (won't pay for it) so I just DL what I might want to see. No, if I lost it, it would be no real big deal. (Most needs to be deleted cause I've seen it.) Import stuff is transferred over. I just get lazy to do it in a timely manner. Actually just noticed I was running out of room again about a week or so ago. Got to get a watchin' all that Robot Chicken and stuff, lol.

:D

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Besides needing to reclaim a lot of free space in that hard drive, you should do the following (considering what your computing habits are).

Download and save and then install the free version of

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.70.0.1100

SUPERAntiSpyware 5.6.0.1014

Make sure to update their definition files during the install process.

Make sure to uncheck and decline to install any extras, such as toolbars and homepages, they may offer.

Make sure to uncheck and decline to use the "Pro" or "Trial" version, if it's offered.

After they're installed and updated, restart the computer.

Run a QUICK scan with each of them.

When each scan is finished, select and remove EVERYTHING they found.

Restart the computer, if prompted to, so the removal process can finish.

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. Kookiedo

Kookiedo Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I've done all that. I come up clean. Are you suggesting something may be infected? How would I go about figuring that out if I am negative on scans? I do suspect something is afoot but I can't really be sure. There has been a few quirky things that has happened. I had some windows update problems and I do believe it has been solved. I don't know. This is strange. I swear I should be a software tester guinea pig because I have found the weirdest things happen to me.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Type in %temp% to bring up that temp folder.
    (Note: The percentage sign is on the number 5 key)

Select and delete EVERYTHING that's inside that temp folder.

Empty the recycle bin and then restart the computer.

---------------------------------------------------------

11. Kookiedo

Kookiedo Thread Starter

It looks like there are two temp folders in D:\Pollux Win7Pro\AppData\Local: Temp and TMP. The files in both are similar and look like residuals from installs. Should I dump the contents of both folders? (BTW, that setpoint crap is in both folders Temp & TMP.)

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Yes, delete the contents of both temp folders.

----------------------------------------------------------------

13. Kookiedo

Kookiedo Thread Starter

Ok, yeah, that totally worked. I think I may have figured out what those files are. The "lu" folder may be created by the logitech updater. When the setpoint software automatically checks for updates. Also, after deletion, I think what was trying to run and failing was a "register your product" because now that ran without UAC interference. The original install must not have gone well. There must have been something wrong with those leftovers in that temp folder.

Thanks, that was a simple fix, yet quite convoluted. I do appreciate your time in thinking about what to do about this. You are quite the expert flavallee.

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

Run the %temp% command and keep those temp folders cleaned out at least once a month. (y)

---------------------------------------------------------------

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice