1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Very frequent BSOD, different error messages.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Abacap, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Abacap

Abacap Thread Starter

Hello, this morning I booted my pc and immediatley started to play Battlefield 3, within a couple seconds of actually being in game, my computer crashed and gave me a BSOD. It has kept happening to me all day, usually when I'm playing a game, but sometimes when I'm just browsing the web. I'd provide some event log details but I'm not sure how to acquire them.. Thanks in advance :)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Zip up and attach the dump files:
    C:\Windows\minidump

What error on the blue screen?

Test RAM.

Memory Testing (including bootable CD's and floppies):

Memtest86
    MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

3. Abacap

Abacap Thread Starter

I got you the dump files, attached.
    and I'll post again with the results of a memtest

Attached Files:

4. Abacap

Abacap Thread Starter

And I ran a mdsched.exe on boot but it didn't report any errors

5. Abacap

Abacap Thread Starter

Oh and as for the error on screen, there's several different ones i've expierenced.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, it looks like a driver problem, but we still don't know which one. Have you changed any drivers lately, or used any of those unsafe scanners to make sure they are "up to date", even though they don't need to be?

Have you installed all Windows updates (a recent update included a new version of tcpip.sys)?

Could your graphics card be overheating, or is your power supply too small (is it the card that came with the machine)?

I would try another test with memtest. If the RAM is still OK, the hard drive is also a possibility. Definitely make sure that your system is backed up for when the drive fails.

7. Ditrich

Ditrich

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT indicates an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor that was not received within the allocated interval. This usually happens to overclocked hardware and less frequently to broken CPU's or memory.

8. Abacap

Abacap Thread Starter

I know I installed a driver after this problem arrived for my GPU, but nothing else AFAIK.
    and my power supply is 650 watts for a HD5670 so I'm sure theres no problems there..plus it's been working for a while before this problem arose.

And I should really explain my RAM, because it's a bit complicated.
    My current system was a semi-new build about a month or two ago (Semi because I used my old power supply, hard drive, and GPU) and when I finished everything, only one of my ram sticks was being used. Both were recognized in CPU-Z but only 4GB of memory was available out of my 4gb x2. I have tried to reseat them when my BSOD problem arose but to no success..

Lasty, my graphics card is OC'd from 775 up to 800, and I figured there wouldn't be much of a problem (again, it's been running fine ever since it was installed), but I'll try lowering the clock to see what happens.

9. Abacap

Abacap Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this helps any but according to PC Wizard 2010 I have a TMPIN2 running at 128 C ...

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

What is at 128 C>? It doesn't really matter. Nothing on the machine should be more than around 55.

If you are overclocking, you should expect system instability and failure of components at any time. Highertemps mean faster failure. At 50-degrees over temp, a component that would normally be expected to last 1 year would last less than 10 days instead, if you were lucky and the temps didn't cause physical breakdown, which it most often would.

11. Abacap

Abacap Thread Starter

I did some searching around and found out it's probably just a bug, the program lists 128C when there is no actual sensor available. and besides, 128 is really inprobable :|

12. Abacap

Abacap Thread Starter

Alright, I've ran several memtest86 tests and I've been recieving errors in test 9. I've checked over my DRAM voltage and timing setings which are all correct. Any thoughts as to what may be wrong?

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

If Memtest showed even one error, that RAM stick needs to be replaced. Was it a specific error with an address? Do you know what Test7 was testing?

14. Abacap

Abacap Thread Starter

You mean test 9? it's random number sequence I believe.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can try other tests if you want. But that RAM stick will lmost certainly need to be replaced.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice