1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Very High CPU Temperature On Brand New Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ferrerj003, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ferrerj003

ferrerj003 Thread Starter

Hi, I've had a pc built 2 days ago. Specs are:
    AMD A10 5800K
    MSI FM2-A75MA-E35
    8GB Kingston
    XFX Radeon 6850
    XFX 650W PSU

Everything is brand new except for the PSU and GPU. Everything seems to be running well, playing games and watching videos and stuff, but my temperatures are extremely high for my CPU. It idles at 60-65 degrees Celsius and when I am running games it goes up to 80-100 degrees Celsius! I haven't tried OC'ing and also I'm using the stock cooler. I've been using HWMonitor to monitor the temperature. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Did you build it yourself? Is the cpu fan spinning? Where are you reading those temps from? Link doesn't work. Go into the BIOS and check the temps under hardware monitoring.

3. ferrerj003

I'm using HWMonitor from CPUID to check the temps when I'm using the computer. And yeah in the bios after leaving it on for a couple minutes I see that it says the processor temperature going from 60-65 degrees celsius. I didn't build it myself I had a friend build it but he was literally right in front of me and I saw him build the whole thing, and everything looked to be alright and it is performing nicely as well besides the temperatures. Yes the CPU fan is spinning.

4. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Those temps are far from acceptable and can cause damage if not rectified. In the BIOS what RPM is the cpu fan spinning at? Check to make sure the heatsink is fastened correctly. There should be very minimal play if fastened properly.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Check your temps in the bios. HWmonitor is a fine program however it sometimes returns flaky data.

To post a screenshot of hwm;
    1 With hwmonitor running, hit the prtSc key
    2 Open a file viewer like irfanview, etc. Click edit>paste
    3 Crop the image as necessary and save it as a jpeg type file
    4 Upload here. Click the "Go Advanced" button
    5 Click manage attachments; then point it at where you saved the file and upload

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, if you are seeing 60+ in the bios, something is not correct.

7. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

80 to 100 while in Windows is not good at all. Anyways I thought I'd help seeing as pretty much all I work with are Amd processors.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you grab hold of the hsf [system OFF] can you move it around or is it very tight?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I wanted to make sure he was seeing those temps in the bios. HWM sometimes returns strange readings. I was working one thread where it [hwm] showed the 12V rail at 7V.

10. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

That's why I asked the poster to confirm with a BIOS reading.

11. ferrerj003

Not sure if this worked hope it did. And sorry I don't know what the hsf is? Not much of a computer whiz so if you dont mind I might need a bit of guidance, I'm gonna assume heatsink fan. And yes it's pretty tight, barely moves if it even moves at all.

Attached Files:

12. ferrerj003

I'll try taking a picture of the bios right now.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That worked fine. If you are seeing those same temps or close in the bios, then it is too hot.

I do not see a fan speed on hwm. First make sure the hsf is in fact spinning. If it is, then shutdown and release the lock-down cam for the hsf. Remove hsf and clean both the cpu and the hsf with 91 or 99% alcohol. Now take the hsf and place it on a known flat surface ie mirror, etc. Make sure that it is not warped. I have seen a few hsf that were not flat [these were aftermarket] If it is flat, then apply a small amount of thermal compound in the center of cpu [about the size of a BB] Install the hsf however do not lock it down with the cam. Grab hold and give it a few twists back and forth; now lock-down the cam.

14. ferrerj003

I hope this helps. Alright I will try that. Well not literally as I'm not great with installing computer components but I'll get my friend who built my pc to look at this thread and follow your instructions. Thanks both of you for the help, I'll post back after doing that and let you guys know what happened. By the way the fan is spinning I tried taking a picture not sure if it'll work, also its with an old blackberry camera so hope you guys can still see it.

Attached Files:

15. ferrerj003

Here is the attempted picture of the hsf.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice