1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Very minor RAM question...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lightning89, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lightning89

lightning89 Thread Starter

Hey guys,
    I'm currently in the process of upgrading my Aspire 5600 XP Laptop and am onto the RAM. I plan on buying a 4GB kit, but the RAM I have been reccomended on the Crucial site is out of stock and has been for some time. I have however, found more or less exacly the same RAM on the overclockers website, par the number after the PC2 stuff in the specs. I was just wondering if I could be reasured that it's the same type of RAM and will work, or if the number makes a differnece and it wouldn't.

Here's the links to the sites:
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=9BA476A6A5CA7304
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-113-CR&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=936

First link is the site with the RAM I definatly need, though is out of stock. Secand is the stuff I found on OC.

Big thanks in advance,
    - Lee

2. lefty1953

lefty1953

One is PC2-4200 and the other is PC2-5300. Not sure it will work. One is CL5 and the other CL4. Now I am thinking no it wont work.

3. dashdanw

dashdanw

hold on illl take a look for you

4. dashdanw

dashdanw

also, unless you are using vista your XP cannot use 4gb of memory and its a pretty exessive amount of ram to use on a computer like what you are using unless you are doing video editing or something of that nature. Youll find that the speed of the ram is what will eventually become outdated, not the storage size.

5. dashdanw

dashdanw

also the ram you found is a higher speed, you can use it

6. lightning89

Hey,
    Thanks for the help guys. Yeah, i'm going to uni in september to do a 3.5 year Games Design course, so will be using a few top heavy programs such as Cinema 4D, Level Editors, Photoshop etc and may have more than one open at a time. I wouldn't be able to do that with the RAM amount I currently have, so decided to go for the most you could get out there basically.

And right, so even though the speed is higher then the RAM recommended it would still work dashdanw? What does the CL5 and CL4 part mean?

Thanks.

7. lightning89

Oh god dammit, I just noticed something on the overclockers site.

"Out of Stock"

Great.

8. dashdanw

dashdanw

cl5 is the memory timing, i assume it stands for CAS LATENCY, you can look it up, im almost positive it wont effect your compuuter, it has to do with the time it takes between the processor sending a request and then having it answered, 5 is a slower latency but as long as your BIOS is set to automatically handle memory specs on itss own you should be fine.

9. lightning89

Alreet, thanks for the help dan. I'll order the Overclockers RAM now and hope it arrives asap, when they got more in stock. Cheers for the help guys.

~ Solved.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice