1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Very slow access to computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RonHen, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RonHen

RonHen Thread Starter

I originally believed this be a networking problem but now think it to be a Windows problem.

One computer (named X4), on my network of 9 computers is very slow to be located or accessed by the other computers via Windows. This just started happening recently, (within the past two months).

All the other computers access each other fine and X4 can access them just fine but every access to X4 is slow (up to 5 minutes).

Under a Command prompt any computer can access X4 very quickly, and it can access them quickly as well. So it seems to be a problem in windows.

I am running a mixture of Vista and WINXP Pro with SP3 on the computers on the network. X4 is one of the WINXP SP3 computers. None of the other computers have problems. It seems to be computer specific and only with Windows.

I've switched the cabling around to other ports on the switch and swapped Net cards and cables. It doesn't seem to be a hardware issue. X4's hard drive is shared. I have made all of the computers members of the same Workgroup and have renamed X4 to other names to see if the name might be the problem, but it makes no difference.

In 'My Network Places', X4 shows up as 'X4 on EntireNetwork' even though it was set up as 'C on X4'. When clicked it brings up a folder titled 'Target' which when clicked launches the search for X4. It does seem to be searching the 'Entire Network' considering the amount of time it takes to be located.

Once it is located, the connection is only partly held as it takes another long pause to write to it. Again, access to it with a Command prompt command is immediate, whether it is read or write. Windows access is made but very slow.

I'd like to avoid reinstalling/updating WINXP and rebuilding this system if there is a reasonable fix. I don't seem to know was it is and would sincerely appreciate any help or suggestions.

Following is the system information on X4. Thanks, very much. Ron

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2200+, x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2559 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 152588 MB, Free - 57644 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., A7V8X-X
    Antivirus: Norton AntiVirus, Updated: No, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. shadow6224

shadow6224

Well, first off, the TSG tool says that Norton is not updated.
    Secondly, is X4 a server?

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    There are a lot of free antivirus programs out there that work much better than norton if you so choose to use them.

4. RonHen

RonHen Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

The WINXP computers are scheduled for new antivirus software since the Norton version installed on them has no further updates available.

X4 is not a server, but interesting that you would mention servers. We did add a server computer (WIN Server 2003) on the LAN a couple of months ago, approximately when X4 started to act up. The server has been on and off of the LAN, but it's prescence or not, doesn't seem to have any effect on X4's accessibility. Still, very interesting and I had forgotten it since they didn't seem to be related and since the server had no access problems.

5. shadow6224

shadow6224

Okay. I just asked because you say that you have other computers access them. How many computers about do you know access it at one time?

6. RonHen

RonHen Thread Starter

We have found that three was the max accesses to X4 at any one time, and that was a rare situation. In most cases it is being accessed on a sequential basis with no in-progress access being interupted. The time between accesses varies greatly but within the last month due to it's slowness it averages about 35 minutes between accesses. Once X4 is 'found' the transaction completes quickly, except in the case of a write which is delayed by 5-15 seconds.

The server is being accessed much more frequently with no problems. The same is true for the other computers on the network.

Thanks.

7. RonHen

RonHen Thread Starter

Yesterday morning access to X4 became almost normal. Access to it is only slightly slower than to other computers on the LAN. It is well within reasonable limits.

I can't explain why it 'straightened out' unless it has something to do with a Workgroup name expiring due to non-use.

X4 continues to be readily accessible today. Hopefully we can call this problem resolved though it's cause might not be solved.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025566

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice