1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Very slow boot up.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Deluge, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deluge

Deluge Thread Starter

PC has recently started taking a very long time to boot up and at the same time it started requesting the input of the users name. It can take 2 to 3 mins to reach the user name stage and a further 2 or 3 minutes to finish the boot process. If I switch of and then re-start if boots up normally but it will still request the user name input.
    I have scanned for viruses and malware and all seems to be OK. Any help much appreciated.
    Please note that I use Avast Anti Virus and that I have long since ceased to use the Avira product indicated below. Is this relevant and if so how do I get rid of the Avira product? Seems that a normal uninstall did not fully clear it as it keeps on showing up.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU 2160 @ 1.80GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3070 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT , 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76285 MB, Free - 53887 MB; E: Total - 76285 MB, Free - 51388 MB; G: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 65837 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc. , 0NY776, , ..CN7082179K50CH.
    Antivirus: AntiVir Desktop, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353/

Do this please - on method 2 go only as far as step 3.
    Do not go to the further options.
    We can then work from there.
    So boot the computer - configure clean boot and report results

3. Deluge

Deluge Thread Starter

Have done that, seems to be OK but will know better after a long shut down for that's when it was happening. Will report back in a day or two. Meanwhile many thanks for the guidance.
    That pesky Avira logo has now reappeared on the taskbar, Avira is not shown in the list of installed products in the control panel. How can I dislodge it? Also can I remove the requirement to click on the username during the boot process?

4. Macboatmaster

Avira uninstall.
    http://www.avira.com/en/support-download
    See this as well
    http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=39813.0

You may need to disable Avast which MAY stop that uninstaller from running.

Create a restore point first - just in case.

Control Panel . User Accounts. Change the Way Users log on or off. Then click to check Use the Welcome screen

5. Deluge

Deluge Thread Starter

Done as suggested, not all Avira files were removed, maybe I will just have to live with it. The Sign on situation has not been resolved as I can see no relevant option. However i am happy with progress so far and hopefully the slow boot up issue is resolved. If so, may all the splinters be pointing the right way as you slide down the bannisters of life.

6. Macboatmaster

1. As per the screenshot please re the requirement for user name.

2. Revo uninstaller. USE WITH care please ensure you check and check again what you are selecting
    Revo uninstaller http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
    Choose Safe mode. when prompted for removal type. I find this FREE program very useful in removing both unwanted programs and the gunk it leaves behind. This program works even if the built-in uninstaller for a program fails.

3. The Clean Boot is not really the solution it is a way of establishing that the problem is most likely not a hardware issue. It now requires further analysis to establish what the problem was.

Attached Files:

7. Deluge

Deluge Thread Starter

Checked the relevant box in the welcome screen, nothing changed, still have to sign in.
    To-days boot up was possibly the slowest yet, with the last few items taking ages to load. I had found that if I pressed re-set whenever a delayed boot up seemed likely, it booted normally after the 30 sec delay had expired, the keyboard and mouse were inactive meanwhile. May I remind you that it boots normally after a shut down, but I don't know how long it must be left before the long delay sets in, it it certainly longer than a few minutes. Could it be a hardware/heat/cold problem.
    Another thing that I had omitted to say was that I had replaced the contents of the C drive with an image taken some time ago and before this problem surfaced.
    I will be away for the next few days and will return to this matter after that. Should I buy a big hammer meanwhile!!! ?.

8. Macboatmaster

Go My Computer, right click the HDD click properties, click the tools tab, click error checking, click check now, click to check both boxes, click start, agree to run on restart.
    This is a five stage check and will take sometime. Do not interrupt it.
    If you miss the results, go Control Panel, Administrative functions, event viewer, application on the left pane and scroll to winlogon on the main window.

9. Deluge

Deluge Thread Starter

Did all that was suggested but slow boot problem remained. After some weeks of this problem I set the PC to defrag the boot sector when booting up and after about three boots later it started booting at a normal rate and I no longer have to wait six to eight minutes. I had earlier ran a full defrag without effect. Don't know why the boot sector defrag seems to have fixed the problem but it has and I am thankful for that, hope it stays that way and I am leaving it set to defrag the boot sector at each boot.
    Thanks to all who offered solutions, much appreciated.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice