1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Very slow boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rocky Squirrel, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rocky Squirrel

Rocky Squirrel Thread Starter

I have a used corporate laptop. It basically works great. It has the Windows XP service Pack 2 operating system. When I boot the desktop comes up right away. The Start Menu and icons take their own sweet time. I mean the thing can go to the standbye or sleep mode while I wait. If I wake it the icons and Start Menu eventually appear. This happens more often than not.

I have defragmented the disk and cleared all temporary files. I do not currently have it on a LAN network and don't see that as part of this machine's routine. I did disable the LAN connection thinking that might solve the problem. It didn't. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. The Hound

The Hound

Maybe a hijackthis log will show us something amiss...

Download hijackthis here:

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTsetup.exe

Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.

Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    Click Edit > Select All> Edit > Copy to copy the entire contents of the log.
    Paste the log in your next reply.

DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

3. Rocky Squirrel

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 8:52:42 PM, on 7/8/2007
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16473)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
    C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
    C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPagePro14.0\WorkFlowTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPagePro14.0\Opware14.exe
    C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPagePro14.0\OpScheduler.exe
    C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPagePro14.0\PdfPrn\SPrnAgent.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\AutoDetector\monitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\NovaStor\NovaBACKUP\NbkCtrl.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\NovaStor\NOVABA~1\NSENGINE.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIAIA.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
    C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
    C:\Program Files\Apple Computer\[email protected]\DVDAccess.exe
    C:\Palm\HOTSYNC.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = :0
    O2 - BHO: HelperObject Class - {00C6482D-C502-44C8-8409-FCE54AD9C208} - C:\Program Files\TechSmith\SnagIt 6\SnagItBHO.dll
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O2 - BHO: EpsonToolBandKicker Class - {E99421FB-68DD-40F0-B4AC-B7027CAE2F1A} - C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON Web-To-Page\EPSON Web-To-Page.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - (no file)
    O3 - Toolbar: SnagIt - {8FF5E183-ABDE-46EB-B09E-D2AAB95CABE3} - C:\Program Files\TechSmith\SnagIt 6\SnagItIEAddin.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: EPSON Web-To-Page - {EE5D279F-081B-4404-994D-C6B60AAEBA6D} - C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON Web-To-Page\EPSON Web-To-Page.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] "C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [type32] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WorkFlowTray] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPagePro14.0\WorkFlowTray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Opware14] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPagePro14.0\Opware14.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OpScheduler] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPagePro14.0\OpScheduler.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSPrnAgent] C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\OmniPagePro14.0\PdfPrn\SPrnAgent.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ulead AutoDetector v2] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\AutoDetector\monitor.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NovaBackup 7 Tray Control] "C:\Program Files\NovaStor\NovaBACKUP\NbkCtrl.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus Photo R220 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIAIA.EXE /P30 "EPSON Stylus Photo R220 Series" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus Photo R220"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDF4 Registry Controller] "C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PDF Professional 4.0\\RegistryController.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 7.0] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DNS7reminder] "C:\Program Files\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking9\Ereg\Ereg.exe" -r "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking9\Ereg.ini
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'Default user')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [RunNarrator] Narrator.exe (User 'Default user')
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: America Online 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: [email protected] = ?
    O4 - Global Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Palm\HOTSYNC.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: Kodak EasyShare software.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\Kodak EasyShare software\bin\EasyShare.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: KODAK Software Updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\Kodak Software Updater.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert link target to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selected links to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert selection to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Open with ScanSoft PDF Converter 4.0 - res://C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\PDF Professional 4.0\cnvres_eng.dll /100
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=39204&clcid=0x409
    O16 - DPF: {A82C3A33-5C0E-466C-B020-71585433A7E4} (PhxStudent.OeSetup15) - https://ecampus.phoenix.edu/secure/PhxStudent15.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {BB47CA33-8B4D-11D0-9511-00C04FD9152D} (ExteriorSurround Object) - http://autos.msn.com/components/ocx/exterior/Outside.cab
    O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AOL Connectivity Service (AOL ACS) - America Online, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\acsd.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
    O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe
    O23 - Service: WAN Miniport (ATW) Service (WANMiniportService) - America Online, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe

--
    End of file - 12867 bytes

4. Skydawg

Skydawg

The laptop probalby belongs to a domain? When you try to log on, it's looking for the domain. Take it out of the domain, I seriously doubt you have any malware that is causing this, as your first statement was "I have a used corporate laptop...".

Right click My Computer, click on properties, then Computer Name, click on change. In the bottom box you will see if it's in a domain or workgroup, if it's in a domain, take it out by clicking the raido button for workgroup, give the workgroup a name, and then reboot.

As a side note - Are you a security expert for the forum The Hound? I got told to not tell anyone to do what you did, because I was...the forum has security experts, if they see something that needs their attention, they will move it and answer, we're not supposed to. :)

5. Rocky Squirrel

The Hijack Log I just posted was from my desktop not the laptop! Doh!!! My laptop is not in a wireless network and isn't in a LAN.

Got any suggestions? I'm a dullard tonight.

6. Rocky Squirrel

Forget this HiJack log. It's of my desktop not the laptop. Currently the laptop is not in a LAN or a wireless network.

7. Skydawg

Skydawg

But is it in a domain? Did you check where I asked you to check? You don't have to be on a netowrk to be a part of a domain...

8. The Hound

The Hound

@skydawg--I do not analyze hijackthis logs. Ever. Nor do I troubleshoot malware issues. When I suggest that a hijackthis log be posted, you'll find that the only suggestion I make about the contents is to be patient until a qualified expert makes decisions.

My interest in hijackthis logs posted on this forum is limited to the number of applications like media players and auto=updaters in the startup group. I don't pretend to be a malware expert, nor do I claim expertise in hijackthis analysis.

9. Rocky Squirrel

I did a change and named the workgroup. I restarted and ran into the same problem.

10. The Hound

The Hound

Rocky-to avoid any confusion, forget the hjt log, and let's try this instead.

Click start, run, type msconfig , click ok.

On the General tab, click 'selective startup', and on the startup tab, untick all except your security programs (and a touchpad driver if you use it).

Click apply, ok, and reboot.

On rebooting, if you're quicker (you probably will be), put ticks back in boxes...open the associated applications, and set their options to NOT run on startup.

11. The Hound

The Hound

Also--on the properties of the boot drive, untick the box at the bottom for indexing...

12. Skydawg

Skydawg

@The Hound...well, I was just letting you know, not being a jerk, I did the same thing you did and got a whole post from a mod quoting rules and all...was just a friendly warning, the big thing was if you post, the security mods won't see it as fast and can't answer as fast as they normally would...up to you though, like I said, just a friendly note. :)

@Rocky Okay, I misread your first post, probably time for me to go to bed...thought you were talking about logging in, not the start menu, wow, what a miss. But, now that I read it, when you click on start, either click ctrl+alt+del and bring up task manager or right click the task bar - task manager - and look and see in the processes tab what is eating up your Memory and CPU, you can click on the category to sort by what is using the most CPU and memory.

13. Rocky Squirrel

I've followed your advice, and the problem is solved. I've booted cold rather than done a restart. Done it three times. Each time the start menu and icons pop right on up.

Thanks!

14. The Hound

The Hound

Good deal...please use the thread tools at the top right to mark this one solved...

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice