1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Very Slow Dsl Speed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by justkay, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. justkay

justkay Thread Starter

I just got a new Dell PC with XP Pro. I have DSL with an advertised download speed up to 728 Kbits/sec. My internet speed seemed sluggish so I tested it over the last 5 days, several times a day at different times. The download speed varied between 54-171.
    I tried disabling the firewall & anti-virus software (scary) but neither made a difference.

Could this be a problem with my ISP or could it be my PC? Is there such a thing as configuring a PC to be optimised for DSL rather than dial-up?

2. jp1203

jp1203

For download speed, do you mean 54 - 171 Kilobits or kilobytes? The rule is there are 8 kilobits in a kilobyte, so if there is a maximum speed of 768 kilobits, the most you could see on a download is 96 kilobytes a second.

How is the internet hooked up to the machine? I'm assuming the phone line runs into an external modem, and then it goes through a CAT5 cable to the ethernet on the computer.

If this is the case, and you're pretty sure you have no spyware/malware/etc. try going to http://www.dslreports.com/linequality to test your line out. If that has issues returning, then it is definitely an ISP issue.

Generally, DSL lines do not slow down during peak hours either, as the bandwidth is less shared and more dedicated than cable. Granted, it is not as dedicated as a fiber line, but in the time I've had a 768 K DSL connection it's never slowed down at all.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

To expand on the previous request, we'd also like to see the results of the line quality test.

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
    and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

4. justkay

justkay Thread Starter

Upper case K for both.

The phone line does run into an external modem, then to the back of the PC where either the network DSL or cable connects. That cable was supplied by my ISP when I got the modem.

I have antivirus & spyware protection so doubt there is any spyware/malware.

I took your advice & ran the line quality test, but do not understand the results. Can you help me with this? I have included the link to my report:

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2402724.

5. justkay

justkay Thread Starter

Reply to John Will.
    Just saw your reply after I posted mine. I did not have PING enabled for the Windows firewall I use (no router). I will now try the line quality test again & post the link to the results.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    To cover the easy parts ...

Red highlights and the word "fail" are considered bad things. The word "pass" is pretty much a good thing. In the two tests you got 59% and 2% loss in the last hop between your ISP and you. Consider that you have phone line or filter or connection problems; could also be the phone lines that are outside your control.

If you have one of those "network interface boxes" outside you could connect your modem there and test to eliminate your wiring.

7. justkay

justkay Thread Starter

Here are the results of the line quality test. Can they explain why my download speed varies between 54-171, in spite of the fact that I subscribe to a DSL plan with up to 728?

http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2402741

If not, what should I do next?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You appear to have some issues with the line. I think I'd start with the ISP and see if they can resolve those first.

9. justkay

justkay Thread Starter

Reply to TerryNet.

I do not know what a network interface box is. I do know that my ISP did not come out to my house when I got DSL. They mailed the modem, etc., to me & instructed me how to install it on the phone.

I don't have a telephone wire long enough to reach the phone company's outside box.
    But I do have inside wiring repair included.

10. jp1203

jp1203

No, they usually don't come to your house. They can activate your line for the higher frequencies DSL uses right from there.

What Terrynet is referring to is a network interface box for all of the phones. It should be outside where the line comes in and will probably have two sections "customer access" and "Telco Access" The "Customer Access" will let you plug your DSL Modem in there to eliminate any problems you may see from within the house. DO NOT use a long phone cable to get to that though, as with DSL, the longer the phone cable, the worse the connection you will see. Generally no more than 10-15 feet is acceptable, and with more than thirty you'll be lucky if it connects at all.

Along these lines, there's a good chance if you have a longer cable on the DSL modem that could be the entire issue.

BTW, as already mentioned the line test is not all that wonderful, which indicates a definite outside problem. The thing is, if you were to connect the DSL modem to the network interface box as Terrynet suggested and it still had issues, it would eliminate any possibility of it being a problem in your house.

FWIW, you might not have a network interface box. I didn't until about a year ago when Verizon came up to replace everyone's lines because we had "crossed lines" (could hear everyone on the road's conversations).

11. justkay

justkay Thread Starter

Reply to JStergis

I do have a network access box with customer access. However, it is at the other side of the house. I followed the phone wire from the outlet the modem is connected to. It goes up into the attic & then runs across it until it emerges from the other side of the house, then down to the network access box. A rough measure shows it to be about 38 feet from one to the other.
    Although it would make sense to test, I don't think I could easily try the modem in a location closer to the box. The only window on that side of the house is in the bathroom. That is relatively close to the box. However, the closest inside phone jack to use would be about probably be about 20 feet away.
    In addition, I have a desktop so there would be allot of disconnecting & moving of euipment to try it.
    Is there any other way to find out if the distance is what is entirely causing me my problem?

12. justkay

justkay Thread Starter

My last message.

I wasn't thinking clearly. It obviously is not an issue that the nearest phone jack to the outside box is 20 feet away, since the connect would be directly to the modem thru the window.

However, it still be quite a task for me to set up my desktop on the other side of the house un the bathroom.

Is there anyway my ISP could test the download speed to my house?

13. jp1203

jp1203

Yes, they definitely could. If you give them a call, they'll do it. I'm betting you have Verizon based on a 768 K DSL connection. They're usually pretty cooperative in these situations.

14. JMan2613

JMan2613

Hmm sorry to butt into this late but anychance you can post your line stats up I mean the one from your router this should shed some light. To get your line stats type in your Connections Default Gateway.

By the way I'm guessing you guys are from USA I know nothing about USA ADSL systems but I'm an expert of UK ADSL.

15. justkay

justkay Thread Starter

I'm behind in my replies.
    First, here are the results of my latest line quality test.
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2402832
    I don't know how to read these reports, but it seems to me that when a test fails, it is due to a problem between my ISP & me, at the end.
    I indirectly have Verizon 768 K DSL. Since it is getting late in the day & tomorrow is a holiday, I probably will wait until Monday to call them.
    Second, I have no other test results & I do not have a router. Just a simple desktop with an ADSL modem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/726748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice