Solved: VHD in windows 7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mountian

Hi everyone thanks for all your guy's help in advance I always appreciate.
I'm a little frustrated with trying to create and install O/S with windows VHD.
here are the steps:
1)under disk management->action tab->create VHD->create attach virtual hard disk.
2) I attach it to: c:\VHDs\name.vhd
Ok now I establish the disk and install the OS. When I get to install now, then I press shift+F10.
4) diskpart
select vdisk file=c:\VHDs\name.vhd
attach vdisk
exit.
Now I go back to windows setup.
And here is my issue. the virtual disk isn't there to install to only the other drives.
I got the dirctions here:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/wi...-8-using-a-vhd/6537?tag=content;siu-container
I've tried this on my three laptops and desktop and It has only worked once.
I finally gave up and installed vmware workstation 9 so I can create my lab environment. can someone tell me why it doesn't work?
please I need to know. thanks so much.

I do not know why.

Here's 1 solution.
http://www.sevenforums.com/virtualization/95771-vhd-problem-windows-7-a.html
It doesn't sound like you have anything stored on the VHD, since you were never able to attach it. In this case, I would just delete the VHD and try again.
If that does not solve your problem, please run this forum's system info utility. Your profile refers to Vista.
http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links

Here's a tutorial that uses a batch file to create a VHD.
http://angler.wordpress.com/2010/03/11/windows-7-auto-mount-vhds-at-startup/

RF123

mountian

Thanks for the 411 I will check this all out and let you know how it worked out. You are correct I don't have anything on any of the VHDs, except one that worked and I use to dual boot windows 8 on my hp that runs windows 7 pro. I wanted to do the same with my desktop and other laptops and learn server 2008r2 and windows 7 enterprise for the purpose of certifications. Thanks again rainforest!:)

Which machine is in discussion.

Please :)
run the system info utility. It has some categories you didn't include.

RF123

mountian

I here ya R.F I'm sure i followed all the steps because I tried over and over following the tech
Republic guide for dual booting windows 8 and windows 7 with VHD. It really isn't so complicated, but let me check all the info you gave me and I will post my steps in complete detail if it doesn't work out as well as a big tumbs up if it consistently works. Thank You much!

mountian

Hey there, just an update: I create a folder in my "C:\" drive:vdisk
then I go to the command line:

create vdisk file="C:\vdisks\disk1.vhd" maximum=16000
attach vdisk
create partition primary
assign letter=g
format fs=ntfs
Everything works fine, I go to disk management and there is my new drive with the assigned "g" healty primary partition.
But I have the same issue, when I try to install an windows O\S and I get to "Install Windows" screen; "where do you want to install windows" the Healty (OEM Partition), the Healthy "c" (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump) and Recovery "E" Healthy (System) are there but not the newly created "g" drive?

mountian

Ok! I got it to work now I can move on (if it consistently works for me LOL) after following the steps listed above to create, name and format the .vhd from the command line:
I ran the setup.exe for the windows O\S and when I got to the windows setup I press shift=F10
diskpart
select vdisk file=c:\vdisks\vdisk1.vhd
attach vdisk
exit
and now it is available. Thank You all for the help and links. Also I ran the system.exe for the desktop and updated the profile I will do the same for my other machines thanxs R.F you were very informative appreciate you time considerably Be Blessed!

mountian:
EXCELLENT!

Thanks very much for posting the steps the solved the issue for you.

Sincerely,
RF123

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online