1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: VHD in windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mountian, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

Hi everyone thanks for all your guy's help in advance I always appreciate.
    I'm a little frustrated with trying to create and install O/S with windows VHD.
    here are the steps:
    1)under disk management->action tab->create VHD->create attach virtual hard disk.
    2) I attach it to: c:\VHDs\name.vhd
    Ok now I establish the disk and install the OS. When I get to install now, then I press shift+F10.
    4) diskpart
    select vdisk file=c:\VHDs\name.vhd
    attach vdisk
    exit.
    Now I go back to windows setup.
    And here is my issue. the virtual disk isn't there to install to only the other drives.
    I got the dirctions here:
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/wi...-8-using-a-vhd/6537?tag=content;siu-container
    I've tried this on my three laptops and desktop and It has only worked once.
    I finally gave up and installed vmware workstation 9 so I can create my lab environment. can someone tell me why it doesn't work?
    please I need to know. thanks so much.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

I do not know why.

Here's 1 solution.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/virtualization/95771-vhd-problem-windows-7-a.html
    If that does not solve your problem, please run this forum's system info utility. Your profile refers to Vista.
    http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links

Here's a tutorial that uses a batch file to create a VHD.
    http://angler.wordpress.com/2010/03/11/windows-7-auto-mount-vhds-at-startup/

RF123

3. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

Thanks for the 411 I will check this all out and let you know how it worked out. You are correct I don't have anything on any of the VHDs, except one that worked and I use to dual boot windows 8 on my hp that runs windows 7 pro. I wanted to do the same with my desktop and other laptops and learn server 2008r2 and windows 7 enterprise for the purpose of certifications. Thanks again rainforest!:)

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

2 (y)

You are welcome.

Keep us posted.

RF123

5. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

I've updated my profile to reflect the machines I work with. Thank You

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

Which machine is in discussion.

Please :)
    run the system info utility. It has some categories you didn't include.

RF123

7. rainforest123

rainforest123

8. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

I here ya R.F I'm sure i followed all the steps because I tried over and over following the tech
    Republic guide for dual booting windows 8 and windows 7 with VHD. It really isn't so complicated, but let me check all the info you gave me and I will post my steps in complete detail if it doesn't work out as well as a big tumbs up if it consistently works. Thank You much!

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

10. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

Hey there, just an update: I create a folder in my "C:\" drive:vdisk
    then I go to the command line:

create vdisk file="C:\vdisks\disk1.vhd" maximum=16000
    attach vdisk
    create partition primary
    assign letter=g
    format fs=ntfs
    Everything works fine, I go to disk management and there is my new drive with the assigned "g" healty primary partition.
    But I have the same issue, when I try to install an windows O\S and I get to "Install Windows" screen; "where do you want to install windows" the Healty (OEM Partition), the Healthy "c" (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump) and Recovery "E" Healthy (System) are there but not the newly created "g" drive?

11. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

Ok! I got it to work now I can move on (if it consistently works for me LOL) after following the steps listed above to create, name and format the .vhd from the command line:
    I ran the setup.exe for the windows O\S and when I got to the windows setup I press shift=F10
    diskpart
    select vdisk file=c:\vdisks\vdisk1.vhd
    attach vdisk
    exit
    and now it is available. Thank You all for the help and links. Also I ran the system.exe for the desktop and updated the profile I will do the same for my other machines thanxs R.F you were very informative appreciate you time considerably Be Blessed!

12. mountian

mountian Thread Starter

shift+F10 not shift=F10 sorry.

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

mountian:
    EXCELLENT!

Thanks very much for posting the steps the solved the issue for you.

Sincerely,
    RF123

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice