Solved: VHS to Computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jonow

I am trying to get the video on a VHS onto my computer and would like to know if it is possible with my current hardware. I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ with an s-video port and a VCR that exports to component. I have a cord that is component to s-video. Does anybody know if I connected these up if it would work and how I would get it to work?

Thanks

DoubleHelix

Banned
No, what you currently have will not work. That's an S-Video output connector. You need a video capture card / device.

jonow

Can you suggest some good hardware that can do this?

Check here: http://www.hauppauge.com/

The type you get will depend on what open slots you have on your motherboard (if you choose an internal card) and what type of cable TV service you have. They also have external devices.

jonow

What is a good product that I can get good quality recording without spending too much

jonow

So anything out there will give me the same resolution, FPS, bit rate, and so on?

First Name
Jim
Pretty much, and again, as it's VHS it won't matter much.

Even if you want something cheap, stick with a name brand (better support, drivers, and software). And stay AWAY from EasyCap.

jonow

What is EasyCap?

And the only reason I ask about what hardware is because i wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions because I had a VHS to DVD converter machine and it was hard to use and it seemed quality was worse then what displayed on the TV from VHS and then it broke.

jonow

So that is a graphics card that can do that? I am not getting a new one quite yet so I dont think so.

It seems like any machine will do, I will just do some looking.

One last question. Will I see a difference if I buy a machine and do it myself or if I sent it in to a professional? (assuming he does no editing)

DoubleHelix

Banned
So that is a graphics card that can do that? I am not getting a new one quite yet so I dont think so.
You don't need a new video card. You need a capture device. They can be the on the same card or separate.

It seems like any machine will do, I will just do some looking.
Machine? You mean computer, right? Any modern computer can capture video from a VHS player.

One last question. Will I see a difference if I buy a machine and do it myself or if I sent it in to a professional? (assuming he does no editing)
No. The quality is the same. I get the impression you're looking for some kind of quality miracle here. It's not going to happen. Actually, the longer you wait to do the transfer and the more times you view the tapes, the worse the quality will be since the tape will continue to degrade.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online