1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: vhs to pc

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by valis, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. valis

valis Moderator Thread Starter

read mulder's sticky, didn't see anything in there about vhs, got a few old school videos (non-copywritten) that I want to preserve in digital format before they waste away as they are sitting in an attic in a box. I know there's a way to do this, suspect it has something to do with the s-video on my vcr (if there is one, need to verify that) and as usual, Best Buy was about as useful as a bandaid on a shotgun wound.

I would prefer not to pay a pile of cash for this; I just want to be able to get them to video format on my pc, thence to backup. I know that there are loads of software out there in the $100 range that offer this service, but was wondering if there is something inherent in XP that I can use to transfer without a tv tuner card.

Questions welcome, as I feel that I am being a bit vague here.

tia,

v

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy valis...

I don't know of any way without a capture card, and DVD authoring software of some sort...

I use an el-cheapo Aver Media capture card and software...

3. bonk

bonk Banned

I use DVD Express it is external and can use a USB 2.0 or Firewire

4. valis

bonk: by external, what do you mean? Also, unfortunately, my vcr is circa 1992, so doesn't really come with USB. :)

remember, this is from vcr to computer, NOT dvd to computer.

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Yes...that's what I mean I've got my VCR connected to my capture card, and line in on the sound card( via the RCA outputs from the VCR), and use the Software to capture from it...

6. valis

hmmm....was hoping not to buy a tuner card, but if that's the case, so be it. Software come with it? And how's the quality?

7. Moby

Moby

Capture cards are normally PCI cards fitted internally inside your computers case onto the motherboard. Bonks example sits outside the computer connecting via USB. Your VCR then connects to it via whatever connections it has - your s-video for example.

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

It's not a tuner card ( they're of a lower quailty capture IMHO ), it's a capture card and the software did come with it...

Like was said you can get them via USB or PCI, mine is PCI, and I can't complain as to the quaility even though it is an El-Cheapo (it's better than my tuner card)...

9. valis

cool, thanks for the responses. will look into bonks first, as it is something that will be used rather infrequently, if not just once or twice.....got a couple OOOOOLD F1 races I don't want to lose with Senna, and then an 'Elway's Greatest Hits' from circa 1989 or so.......

10. bonk

bonk Banned

The DVD Express has RCA jacks IN from your VCR and then has USB to your PC...It also has a S-Video IN

Another one is Dazzle

I'm not pushing these products but you said you didn't what to really go with a internal card tuner.

11. Raised Grain

Raised Grain

I just transfered a bunch of vhs tapes to video using the product at the web site below. Worked flawlessly. Comes with ulead video studio.

http://www.usb-port.com/uvd204.html

12. valis

one of the cats at work reco'd this app.....may have to look into it.....

thanks all, got enough ideas, marking it solved, will unsolve it if I can't figure it out....going to be a few weeks until I can try this, but it's good to know that it can be done, and that there are loads of optoins out there.

raised grain, thanks for your input too.....so many choices!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice