Solved: video capture

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gazbag

i have a sony mini dv camcorder and i want to copy to dvd. i have a lead that goes from the camcorder to usb. the plug to the camcorder is the same as my mp3 player. from what i have read on this forum i need a firewire conection. i dont have a firewire card in my pc. do i need to get firewire or can i use the usb lead i have allready got. also my second question to convert my old vcr recordings to dvd i think i need a video capture card. if this is correct are they all the same or do i need something specific. many thanks in advance

God, I wish people would do searches---here we go again. It is preferable to use a firewire card when transfering DV to your computer---Having said that, you can try using USB but there are many instances when you drop frames. For under 50 bucks you can buy yourself a firewire card---with three ports (ADS makes a good one) and pop it in your computer.

As far as transfering your old VHS tapes to Digital---yes, there are cards that will do that for you. If your current card doesn't support it, then you can take a look at the aformentioned ADS's convertor box. Before trying that, see if your camera supports passthrough (many DV cameras do) You would plug your VCR into your camera, then go out from your camera directly to your computer. This automatically does the analog to digital conversion so there is no need for any additional hardware. My camera supports this and your's might or might not.

gazbag

thanks for getting back to me. i did try to do my research but i just seem to go round in circles.i think i am ok with linking my mini dv camcorder via firewire,but from what i can see the converter box you suggest for my vcr goes to usb which you advise against. my camcorder doesnt support passthrough. any more advice you could give me. many thanks gary

gazbag

thanks. i didnt want to spend too much it is only for home use. i mainly wasnt sure about the fact it goes to usb.you also mentioned about a video capture card would this be a better option. i dont have one at present only a firewire card(on order).many thanks gary

Okay, in your case I am going to recommend a USB based convertor box---the ADS USB Video Express--it can be had for under 50 bucks at several online sellers. FOr your pruposes (capturing home movies and converting from analog to digital) it should suffice. You merely go from your VCR or camera, out to the Box---using either Svideo connection for pic and RCA connections for sound, or you can use RCA cables for all three.

Although I prefer firewire (I load video every day and find it to better at making the transfers) I think this will work for you. I would also recommend that you put your video on a seperate hard drive (nothing else but video). It will help assure that you dont drop frames in the capture.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online