1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Video card driver problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XD_123, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XD_123

XD_123 Thread Starter

Hi, I have windows Vista x64. My video card is Sapphire ATI HD 4850X2.
    I downloaded the driver and tried to install it but when I click "Install"
    it shows me: "Catalyst TM has stopped working, windows is searching a solution for the problem"And it won't work. I'd rather not reformating. Please help :eek:

2. Elunah

Elunah

First of all, did your graphics drivers work properly before you downloaded new ones?

Secondly, from where did you download the drivers? ATi's site or from Sapphire's site? If you downloaded them from ATi, try downloading the latest ones from Sapphire.

You should try to rollback your changes to your graphics cards. If you have a recent restore point, try returning to it. If not, you can uninstall the new drivers to return to the default VGA drivers and then install older drivers. They may have come with your graphics cards.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

I agree with all of Elunah's good advice except the part about using drivers that came with the card. It is never a good idea to use drivers that come with hardware. Those are almost always early and buggy versions that have updates available online.

Does the Catalyst Control Center work? If it does, you might consider just replacing the driver and not updating the installation manager or the Control Center. The driver itself is usually a separate download, or the driver-only option can be checked in the installer.

Do you have any problems with other installers? Is there a particular game that you need updated or fixed drivers for?

Try installing in Safe Mode.

4. XD_123

XD_123 Thread Starter

I forgot to mention >.< the computer is brand new, only motherboard drivers and SP1 installed, I can't install the video card driver = I can't do anything on my computer!(well, almost) Only choice is reformating?

5. Elunah

Elunah

You should be able to do things on the computer even though the video card driver is not working. Windows comes with generic VGA drivers that should allow you to see what you're doing (in grainy fashion). Since you could see the error message, this must be true.

So, again, from where did you acquire the video card drivers you're trying to use? From ATi's site, Sapphire's site, or elsewhere?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

...and, how did XP and SP1 get installed in the first place? Was it installed when you bought it?

If you are having problems now, reformatting and reinstalling may be a very good idea. Do it before you get all set up and have to lose everything.

7. XD_123

XD_123 Thread Starter

1. I installed Vista x64,then motherboard drivers,than SP1(Cause it was really buggy..Control panel wont open,etc.)And then I tried to install it from the CD came with the hardware.Didn't work,so I downloaded drivers from ATI's site,and it does not work either. I got the same problem with Acrobat Reader.
    And I bought this computer in order to play cool games ;) so without a videocard I pretty much cant do anything.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, if the installation did not work correctly right after you installed it, then there was a problem at that point and installing SP1 probably made things worse.

You should start from scratch. But you may want to test your hardware before installing Vista if the very first, fresh installation did not even work right.

9. XD_123

XD_123 Thread Starter

I reformatted and it all works now. Thanks for the good advice.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not the first choice sometimes, but a time-saver in the long run.

Glad you're all set. :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/787850

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice