1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Video Card Installation -> Screen Goes Black

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dcbell, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dcbell

dcbell Thread Starter

Sorry to ask yet another question, but I'm trying to install a GeForce FX 5200 PCI video card. I have had the same problem before, but need would like to fix it permanently. After installing the drivers (updated for my pc from dell.com, too), a restart with the card in fails. Everything works well until the Windows XP splash screen disappears, at which point the screen goes black and the power light on the monitor turns from green to amber. What am I doing wrong?

2. dcbell

dcbell Thread Starter

Any suggestions?

3. EasY_TargeT

EasY_TargeT

your problem is the dell, most dells will NOT accept new video cards, espicially the older ones. This is very common, unfortunatly, call dell and see what they say.

4. norton850

norton850

Does your Dell also have onboard video?

5. dcbell

dcbell Thread Starter

Yes, and I tried disabling the onboard. I have had this problem before but an hour tech support call left me with a clean install. now i'm starting with a new hard drive, so there's nothing to clean...

6. norton850

norton850

What model Dimension do you have?

7. dcbell

dcbell Thread Starter

8. dcbell

dcbell Thread Starter

OK, I fixed the problem. For future reference, this is what worked for the pny verto fx 5200:

1. Disable onboard graphics via Device Manager and make sure video settings are set to Auto instead of Onboard in BIOS.
    2. Insert card in PCI slot and plug monitor into video card.
    3. Restart into Safe Mode with Networking and uninstall any nVidia drivers.
    5. Restart into Safe Mode with Networking and download nVidia drivers from nVidia.com (PNY.com, dell.com, and driver cd drivers all failed).
    6. Cancel the hardware wizard.
    7. Do not run any other programs during installation of drivers.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482780

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice