1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Video Card Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rbltech, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbltech

rbltech Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension 2350, it has 1.8 G p4 and 512 ddr ram, onboard video is very slow. i and trying to add a Geforce Mx 440 Card, when i try to install it for some reason it always loads up to the s video port. my onboard stays as a desktop extension. i can not get the card to change to using the monitor port. is this an issue with the card? also in the bios these Dell machines will not allow you to disable the onboard, just set the output to Auto, and that does nothing. any one have any ideas, short of a steel-toed punt?.
    Thanks

2. norton850

norton850

This comes from the Dell Forum. A good place to get answers. Never tried the solution but the problem has come up before on the forum. You don't need to do the first part of the solution, but it may be helpful

You will need to install a PCI video card, and disable the integrated video. Your PC does not have an AGP slot as you learned. Shop around and search: PCI Cards in the Forum Search for suggestions, there are lots of them (suggestions I mean)

2350 A02 -
    * Click here to set your Dell home page
    * Register using your e-mail address and system service tag (if asked)
    * If listed, click Home and Home Office
    * Under "Alternative Sign In", type in your Service Tag number [press Enter]
    * Close the smaller popup box if it appears
    * On the left, click Documentation
    * Click Adding Parts or Tech Notes, look for "opening the computer cover" or "Removing and Replacing Parts"
    * Power down and open the case
    * Insert the new video card in a PCI slot, BUT leave the monitor attached to the onboard video card!!
    * Turn on (or restart) your computer
    * When the blue DELL logo appears, press F2 immediately
    * Arrow over to the Advanced tab
    * Down arrow to Peripheral Configuration [press Enter]
    * Down arrow to Primary Video controller, change this to AUTO or PCI (whatever is listed)
    * Press Escape to save your changes and exit the system setup. BUT leave the monitor attached to the onboard video card
    * You should now be going into Windows, go ahead and load the drivers for the added video card. When finished, don't let the system restart
    * Press the Windows + Pause/Break keys
    * Click the Hardware tab and/or the Device Manager button
    * Open Display Adapters
    * Double click the Intel listing
    * Click the down arrow by "Use this device" and change it to "Do NOT use this device"
    * Click OK and close all boxes
    * Click Start- Shutdown- Shutdown- Ok or Click Start- Turn Off Computer- Turn Off
    * Connect the monitor to the added video card and power the system on

Good Luck and please let us know if this works.

3. rbltech

rbltech Thread Starter

tried that and when i hooked up to the new card it goes to try to load then goes to orange light like its not getting enough signal. any more idea.

4. rbltech

rbltech Thread Starter

found out the issue just cant fix it. when windows loads the card it uses the s-vidoe port instead of the monitor port, is there an adapter for that.

5. rbltech

rbltech Thread Starter

replaced the card with one with no s video. working fine.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice