1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Video Card Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Iku Tri, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Iku Tri

Iku Tri Thread Starter

I built a new computer, and every time I try to play a game, it seems fine, then eventually it loses the signal, and stops. It happens with multiple games, and the only way I can avoid it is by lowering video settings to their lowest point. After a while it starts to shut down all at once, and if I wait for 2 seconds, it starts up again, and boots. The desktop is at max resolution for the monitor, and maybe once or twice lost signal while at the desktop.

I originally thought it was just s a simple thing: Overheating. The card was very hot, but I talked to tech support, and they said it was rated to go to high temperatures. I also started to notice It happened when ever something changed, Like when I quit out of a game, I start playing the game instead of just menus, when a window opened, and things like that. I now think it is the PSU.When I built the computer, the card said use two 6 pin or 2 8 pin, but mine has one 8 and one 6 pin. So I just ignored it, thinking it didnt apply.

I looked around, and noticed that my motherboard has TM control, so that could explain the shut down, but I don't know if the feature [Its on when EPU is on] is on..

I bought a good enough power supply for the card, so what could be wrong? Bad PSU or card? The TM? Something else?
    Edit: My specs are in my profile, but I put them here:
    Asus P5Q Deluxe
    Intel E8400
    4 Gb G.skill Ram [ I don't really know the model name, it has a red heatplate though.]
    XFX GTX 280 1GB

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What are the temps for the CPU, mainboard, and video card at idle and under load? If you're unsure download HW Monitor and check: http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Next, what power supply do you have? Brand and model number.
    And you do have both the 8 and the 6 pin power connectors connected to the video card?

3. Iku Tri

Iku Tri Thread Starter

The GPU is about 50C, CPU is about 50C, And the HDD is about 43C [Idle]
    Under Load, The GPU was at 60C, the CPU at 63C, and the HDD at 43C. This was just a quick thing, I saarted a lvel in Gmod 10 and Walked around for a little while.

The PSU is a Thermaltake Toughpower 850W. I can't tell the Model number; I just can seem to find it.

I have both the power connectors attached to the GFX card.
    Edit: The Cpu keeps going up as I continue. Its now at 70C. The rest stay stable.

4. stephencc

stephencc

If your CPU is getting that hot, i'd invest in a better cooler for it. Sounds like you have some serious heat going on, might want to get you a PCI slot blower for the bottom of your case to help circulate some of the hot air out, make sure you keep your computer free of dust, dust insulates heat and can cause overheating

5. Compiler

Compiler

Your CPU is seriously over-heating... Either your CPU cooler isn't installed correctly or your case is not venting correctly. That 45nm CPU should be in the 30s~40 idle, maybe 50c tops on full load.

Do you have Artic Silver? Because you're going to need it anyways when you remove your heatsink. Then go to their website for proper application of the thermal grease.

6. Iku Tri

Iku Tri Thread Starter

I'm currently using the stock cooler that came with it. What you guys suggest for cooling?

I'm not sure if it would solve both problems though.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Stock is usually fine. I'd make sure the tape was remvoed from the thermal pad and that all the legs are locked into place correctly.

8. Iku Tri

Iku Tri Thread Starter

Really? Maybe I lost some thermal paste trying to get it in then..

I still have some spare arctic silver, so I'll try that then.

9. Compiler

Compiler

You'll need to Completely remove the old material from both the CPU and the heatsink. ArticSilver must be applied properly.

10. Iku Tri

Iku Tri Thread Starter

I switched to a new cooler with new paste [Cleaned both cooler and cpu], and I got the core temp to 44C [39C CPUTIN]. [Right after boot] It also booted faster. But it still happens! I also switched to normal speakers, and now I noticed it crashed/freezes also.

What do I do now?

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What are the temps under load now?

Also what BIOS version do you have and have you tested the RAM?

12. Iku Tri

Iku Tri Thread Starter

The BIOS is the first one, I don't think there is a newer one, I tried using the updater that came with it.
    How would I test the RAM?

The CPU is about the same, the GPU is about 64-66C

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So the CPU is still climbing above 60 degrees?

If you are running an older BIOS then that could be part of the problem, at least with the temperature readings. One of the BIOS updates addressed that issue.

You should use the Asus Update utility, found on the Asus site, to update the latest BIOS which is 1306: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5Q Deluxe&type=map&mapindex=0

Also find out exactly what RAM you have. Some RAM needs higher then default voltage and you must manually set that in the BIOS.

14. Iku Tri

Iku Tri Thread Starter

15. Iku Tri

Iku Tri Thread Starter

Should I set the voltages to 1.5? I found the Bios option.

And should I get a exchange of PSU?

Sorry for the double post, I just don't want this to sink.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice