[SOLVED] Video card?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MaryLee

How do I determine what type of video card that I have, other than getting into my computer? I tried typing in the c drive debug -d c000:0040 as someone suggested somewhere telling me that several lines of text should come up possibly giving me the name of my video card and I get nothing.
I have Windows Me. Do you need to know anything else about my computer?
Mary Lee

Triple6

Rob
Best way is just to open up the case and take a look. Its usually printed on the card the make and model. Also some video cards show their bios and make and model when you start your computer. You may see something like Nvidia, ATI, SIS and the relevent details about them.

Right click on My Computer. Click properties, then device manager tab. Scroll down to display adapters. Click the + sign next to it. It should tell you the name of your video card. If you highlight it, then click properties, it will give you more details.

Debe

Triple6

Rob
mtbird's suggestion only works if you have the correct video drivers installed for the video card. If you do you can get more info by opening display in the control panel, and going to settings and to advanced.

MaryLee

Thanks to all of you. I found that it says I have a Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA) It also said it exists in all hardware profiles and is working properly. So why then can't I get any color profiles in color management? My color is only at 16 and I can't get anything else.
Mary Lee

Triple6

Rob
standard pci graphics adaptor means you don't have a driver installed for you video card. You will need to install one if you want more than 16 colors at 640 x 480. You may have a cd that came with the video card or the computer that has the driver on it by you need to know which one to install in most cases. Try doing what i suggested above to find out what card you have.

MaryLee

Ok, Went to Control Panel>Display>Settings>Advanced>Adapter>

Manufacturer Standard Display types
Software Version 4.0
Current Files vga.drv, *vdd (the asterisk before vdd is a small x)
What does all this mean?
Mary Lee

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You need to physically examine the board if you have no documentation for the system. Since the drivers aren't installed, very little useful information is available in Device Manager.

if it's a name brand computer, tell us make and model number

the thing you're looking for is what the monitor plugs into

BTW the debug command is :

DEBUG
d c000:0
d
q

pressing enter after each line (within a MSDOS Prompt)

MaryLee,

There is a free utility called AIDA32 which should be able to identify all the components on your system without you having to open the case. Look here;

http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

If you decide to try it, use the version 3.20 released on 12/13/2002 rather than the recent 'preview' version. If your card is identified, AIDA will probably provide a link to the makers website where you can look for new drivers etc..

MaryLee

Hi, I went to Aida32 and found info. on my computer. Now where do I find the link to the makers website to get the drivers I need?

If I haven't said it already THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH. All of you people are great in helping others. I so appreciate it!!

Mary Lee

Hello MaryLee,

While in Aida click on "Display" then on "Windows Video". The info you are looking for should be listed there.

Kilowatt

TOGG : REF.VIDEO DRIVER FROM MARY LEE I too sir am having the same problem that Mary Lee is having. I have downloaded the file AIDA that you suggested and I have just recently ran the file and it comes up "Standard VGA Display Adaptor. Prior to this problem, the computer had WinME on it with the cap of displaying the 32 bit,1024x768 pix, so I am thinking that the video drivers got erased. Had to reformat hard drive due to the system locked up and reinstalled Win98se. Now, I can't load the drivers at all. Also, I tried looking inside the case and didn't see any names on the card at all unless I was looking at the wrong card. So, any suggestions as to where I should look again? also, where can I go to load the drivers for a standard vga adaptor when I don't know the name or anything about the computer. No available driver disc for system or any disc for the system at all.System was custom built and I am 3rd owner.Any help would be appreciated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online