1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Video Containers & Converters

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by braxmonkey, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. braxmonkey

braxmonkey Thread Starter

My understanding is that MPEG4 and, ether, webM or OGG allied with a flash fallback will cover video in HTML5. I've had limited success using VLC for converting video into OGG or webM.

:cool:Any one want to recommend great application(s) for video trans-coding with the web in mind? (with preference going to freeware/shareware(y))

2. colinsp

colinsp

Format factory. Converts anything to anything and is free.

3. braxmonkey

@colinsp Thanks for taking the time to respond but alas your suggestion is not capable of handling .ogv or .webm file extensions for output.

The correct software suggestion would be able to convert Audio Video Interleave (.avi) or Matroska (.mkv) or etc. into the following: MPEG4 (.mp4) / OGG (.ogv) or webM vp8 video ogg audio (.webm) / *Flash Video (.flv) *not essential.

Any other suggestions for video conversion applications? with web in mind??

4. allnodcoms

allnodcoms

Try this out for size... Googled "OGG webm converter" - top hit

Danny

5. braxmonkey

Thanks Danny I got that application installed. It crashes when you convert anything over an hour so it does not work for me. I'm still looking and yes it had occurred to me to search google as well.

6. JiminSA

JiminSA

I tried this free package aeons ago and had no problems...
    http://www.mediacoderhq.com/index.htm:)
    They currently support...
    Video:
    H.264, VP8, XviD, DivX, MPEG 1/2/4, Flash Video, Theora, Dirac, H.263, RealVideo*, Windows Media Video, MJPEG
    Container:
    MP4, WebM, F4V/FLV, Matroska, AVI, MPEG PS, MPEG TS, ASF, MTS/AVCHD, Quicktime/MOV, PMP, RealMedia*, OGM*

7. DrP

DrP

I've been using Miro video convertor without problems (used it today for some client work, as it happens) though prefer Freemake video convertor as there are more options.

In terms of what file formats, you only really need .mp4 and .webm. The .ogg format is no longer necessary after it lost out to .mp4. If you want to offer support for IE8 and below, you might have a Youtube backup, too, or you could just offer a download link (my preference).

Useful link: http://www.longtailvideo.com/html5/

8. braxmonkey

Miro seems to be the front runner. I just wish VLC would get conversion working properly...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1052483