Solved: Video Driver Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BlazingWolf

Hi,

I recently had to do a Windows Repair. After the repair I noticed my Catalyst drivers were not working. I went to install the drivers again and got "Setup was unable to complete you installtion. Try to setup your adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup."

So I go into dxdiag to check what driver the card is using it reports the main driver as "vga.dll" and the MiniVDD as "vga.sys" all other information is not reported.

So I got to the device manager to check if it is recoginizing the card but no display adapter is there. Not even the one for my on-board video(which disables itself when a card is plugged into the AGP slot).

I try to add it using the add hardware wizard but it won't recognize it with plug and play and it doesn't give me the options to intall a display adapter when I do manual install.

I also downloaded by Mobos drivers(VIA Hyperion) and that didn't seem to do anything either. I've also run the ATI unistaller program, and tried to purge as best I could any references to ATI from the registry as well as deleting all the files(the only one remaining is ati2evxx.dll which it will not let me delete. I think it is responsible for the smart poller service which I delete from the registry). I've also tried taking the card out of the machine and running for a while, and then plugging it back in but it still does not recognize it.

I'm totally out of ideas. What else can I do?

pugmug

Banned
Windows repair is well known to cause these kind of problems.I would backup all data I wanted to keep,format and do a fresh install of the OS.

BlazingWolf

The device is not listed in my device manger so I can't update the drivers through that wizard.

Also I've tried booting in VGA mode and I still get the same error message.

Usually when the Display Adapter is not present at all in DM, it means that all the mainboard drivers have not been installed. You mentioned that you did that. Have you explored that avenue completely and are you sure you installed the correct drivers? If you are sure you have the correct Hyperion drivers, try reinstalling them in Safe Mode.

What mainboard do you have?

This app will give you a lot of information on your hardware and machine:
PCWizard--->

You could try running the Find New Hardware Wizard and forcing an installation of an adapter.

BlazingWolf

I have an MSI 6734

Chipset is VIA KT400A.

I'm not sure the install actually worked when I did it. So I guess I will try it again.

And I just ran Sandra and it recognized the card.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Definitely try it in Safe Mode if it will install there (depends on what installer).

Try showing hidden devices in DM under View options and remove anything under Display Adapters.

BlazingWolf

Aha! I installed the the Hyperion drivers in safe-mode and it gave me the option to install the AGP drivers which it had not before.

It immeadiately recognized the card when I restarted.

Thanks Elvandil

There you go. You're welcome. I've had some problems installing those cards, but never insoluble ones (unless the card was faulty).

Thanks for the followup. You can mark the thread "solved" under Thread Tools.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online