1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Video Failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grillinman, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grillinman

grillinman Thread Starter

Yesterday I was simply checking my email and such when about ten minutes into my session my screen got a lot of distorted lines across it and then eventually went to the "no signal" black screen. I restarted hoping that it was an isolated incident but all my startup screens have the same distortion and after windows loads the screen goes back to the "no signal". I swapped monitors hoping that it was just my old monitor but to no avail. I swapped out my video card and my old card worked just fine. The card that is having the problem is my XFX nvidia 7900 GS 256mb AGP. I have only had this card for about three months and it was purchased new. The card recommends running a PSU with a minimum 400w and I only have 350w PSU. Could this be my problem? It hadn't posed a problem before but perhaps now it would have shown up? I welcome any solutions or input as I don't want to have to trash this card already because it usually does it's job pretty well. Cheers!

2. Ziggy587

Ziggy587

I wouldn't trash the card but the power supply. Why not just get one with a higher wattage? If the computer you're having the problem with is the one in your computer specs then I'd say definitely get a new power supply. 350w isn't all that much these days, and you're running a decent amount of things (3 hard drives, video card, plus the norm).

I just used the power supply calculator on NewEgg's website and it says you want at least a 500w PSU for all that you're running. I recommend Enermax and Thermaltake, others on this site recommend Antec and Sparkle as well. I also have to recommend spending a decent amount on the power supply, stay away from those $20 ones. It might be tempting to save money on it, but its not worth it in the long run. Often those cheap PSU's don't even put out the power they claim to on the box. Also, they can flat out stop working. I'm sure every one will agree on this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153028

^ This one has a $20 mail in rebate right now.

Also, make sure you have the latest drivers from nVidia.

3. grillinman

grillinman Thread Starter

So you do agree that its a PSU problem? I just don't want to get a new PSU just to find out that it was a card failure after all even though a video card has never done that to me before. Maybe thats why I'm just so unsure about what happened. Unfortunately I don't have anybody I know where I can go and test the card in their system. But you are definitely right, I do need a new PSU regardless. Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice