1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Video hang up in new overlapping windows thingy

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pugly, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

So I do most of my internet browsing from the desktop. I notice after a while the os will stop showing the sliding sidebars that normally let you go back to the other windows 8 screen with the touch features, or the one on the right with the 5 icons that have search, setting, and the rest. They dont show up at all. Also the task bar item animations stop working and the clock in the lower right corner freezes. I can sometimes mouse over it and the time just disappears. I also just noticed that when i right click on the desktop the box that comes up is all black.

The only change ive made besides upgrading to windows 8 is i upgraded my video card from a radeon 4350 to a radeon 6550.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

My first approach would be to ensure you have followed closely this guide from AMD
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-20870HowtoInstallYourATIProduct.aspx

Please do not be insulted, as I do not know your level of experience, but the procedure is not always followed and their may be a conflict between the driver for the old card and the new one

so on that link above you would be following b, c and d here for the latest driver just in case you do have that one
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

3. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

I would call my level of experience random, so no worries.

So I uninstalled the AMD catalyst manager and everything that might be related from the list in control manager. But after I noticed I restarted and went into device manager. It looks like my video card drivers either stayed there or windows automatically reinstalled them on startup. Should I uninstall them and download the catalyst again?

4. Macboatmaster

I would try that latest driver from the link I sent
    go in through device manager
    update driver
    Browse computer I will choose and then go from there

5. Macboatmaster

On that new card what resolution have you set and are you connected VGA HDMI

Cutting-edge integrated display support
    • DisplayPort 1.2
      • Max resolution: 3840x2400
      • Multi-Stream Transport
      • 21.6 Gbps bandwidth
      • High bit-rate audio
    • HDMI 1.4a with Stereoscopic 3D Frame Packing Format, Deep Color, xvYCC wide gamut support, and high bit-rate audio
      • Max resolution: 1920x1200
    • Dual-link DVI with HDCP
      • Max resolution: 2560x1600
    VGA
    • Max resolution: 2048x1536
    what please is the make and full model of the computer or the motherboard if a generic build

6. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

Ok, I have an eMachines ET1831. The video card is actually a Radeon HD 6570. Sorry about getting that wrong the first time.

I haven't noticed the problem happen again since the uninstall, yet. But it hasn't been long.

I forget what the connecter is called but its not HDMI and I don't think its VGA (thats the oldest type right?) It's the one that has a + at one end of the connector if you're looking directly at the port where the pins go.

7. Macboatmaster

In that case UNLESS you corrected it I sent you the wrong driver unless it happens to be the same for that card as well

8. Macboatmaster

See screenshot please

from top left
    VGA
    HDMI
    DVI

Test it and if OK please mark your topic solved by clicking mark solved button say in 24 hrs
    I will remain subscribed so I will know when you post

Re
    No problem an easy mistake . I thought it funny that was I getting problems finding the exact spec of the 6550
    you just owe me about 30 minutes research time - you can settle up another time, when you have a problem (y)(y):):)

Attached Files:

9. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

Alright it happened again. It's DVI I'm using.

I think it only happens while I'm using firefox (I dont know that it wouldnt happen with another browser) and it might even be when I'm only watching a streaming video on it. It's strange though that firefox itself doesn't have problems while this is going on. Closing it doesn't fix the problem.

I didn't download the driver you posted, since I noticed that I already had my card installed in device manager when I restarted, and I tried to update the driver, it's apparently current.

10. Macboatmaster

11. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

Via Device Manager, my monitor is an HP 2159 Series Wide LCD Monitor. I just put firefox in safe mode, well see what happens.

12. Macboatmaster

Going offline for about 4 hrs
    The new card supports
    Dual-link DVI with HDCP
    • Max resolution: 2560x1600
    The recommended for the monitor is lower try a lower resolution.
    Also I see there is a new download for the monitor for windows 8.
    Not that I think the download will help, as of course it is plug and play, but you may as well have the new HP monitor utility

13. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

Happened again while watching a video on VLan. My resolution is set to 1920x1080, which is the default setting, and I think the default is monitor specific?

I am also having problems with a program that has been found to be due to a video card not getting enough power from the power supply. I'm curious how I would be able to check for that problem.

14. Macboatmaster

The recommended PSU is 400 watts
    PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
    400 Watt or greater power supply recommended (500 Watt for AMD CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
    However on test of the graphics, the total system load, on the test machine, with a high demand game was 204 watts

That of course means little as every system will require different power, according to other hardware

The real important aspect is what amps are available on the 12 v rail and is the power supply a good quality one.

If it is less than 300 watts you may well struggle
    Use this to calculate your power requirement
    http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

check it with this one
    http://www.corsair.com/learn_n_explore?id=533698

then run Hardware Monitor the free edition the download is below the HW monitor Pro to the right of the screen and send me as a screenshot the image shown on link please, so we can see voltages
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

please expand all entries - eg on the link the grpahics entry etc has a + sign to the left, click all please so that all possible readings are shown

then open the case and send me the spec of the one you have wattage and amps on 12 volt rail etc.

15. pugly

pugly Thread Starter

I see an output rating on my power supply of 250, the first link recommends 227 but I don't know if I got everything 100 percent correct on the form.

I think I'm seeing 15 amps on the +12

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089279

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice