1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: video problem with dell inspiron

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gameman, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I have a dell inspiron here and all of the sudden some of the letters looked slightly darker on the left side. Then shortly after that the screen started getting a somewhat cyan tint to it, then after that I started getting blank flickering lines starting from the left side of the screen. The longer it is on the bigger, thicker and longer they get till you don't see anything on the screen. If you shut it down and let it sit for a few mintues it looks fine for a minute when you boot up then starts all over again. The "Dell" logo is also affected at boot up (if you reboot after seeing this) so obviously not a driver issue.

I assume this laptop is toast for the most part, I haven't tried plugging it into regular monitor yet (I am going to try that in a minute). But has anyone else seen this? I it is very strange.

-Game

2. onsite

onsite

Sounds like heat related, do you notice if the fan comes on ?
    does the bottom of the notebook get hot enough that it is almost uncomfortable to the touch ?

3. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

The fan blows out the back. And it does come on at full speed when it is first powered on, then it slows right down. It is slightly warm on the bottom but nothing like the kind of heat you are talking about. My first thought was heat as well, but it seems like it would be hot to the touch if that was the case.

I also just did some testing and it is fine when I use a external montior. Or if I have the laptop shut down the LCD after a minute. Let it sit with the LCD off for a few minutes and press a key to power it back on and it is fine for a few minutes. Then the problem starts.

-Game

4. onsite

onsite

It sounds like you have a handle on it anyway. If it were me i would hook a crt to the VGA port also, don't forget to tell the bios of your plans.

5. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

(sorry for the late post...didn't realize I never finished this post...ooops) Yes it works fine with a external monitor. So it appears that the LCD panel itself is toast and having some sort of falure after it heats up. Oh well.

-Game

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy gameman...

I know you marked this as Solved...

But....

From what you're describing, it may be just a bad connection, does the video change in any way when you move the LCD screen ?

7. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Nope, I move it around the screen does not change. It also starts with this unusual problem at about the same time. 30 to 40 minutes after it being on the problem starts. As I said it appears to be heat releated as if I leave it off for a while (but not completely cooled down) when I turn it back on the problem returns but sooner than the first time. If I let it stay off till it is completely cooled, again 30 to 40 minutes later it starts with this problem. You can almost set your clock to it. Yet it is fine with a external monitor. So like I said I assume it is a heat related issue with the LCD panel itself. Unless someone else has another idea. :)

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

-Game

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486937

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice