1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: video problems/ cpu at slower speed now

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 42gary, Feb 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 42gary

42gary Thread Starter

Recently i have started playing half life 2 and a couple other games that are graphics intensive. My problem is that sometimes the game will slow down a bit and it gets a bit choppy. Also the sound will skip quite a bit when this happens. I went to a local computer store and the guy there talked me into upgrading my ATI 9600 pro to a 9800 pro. It seems a little better but not completely. Another thing I have noticed is that in the system information screen for my comp it is showing my processor as an AMD 2100+, but I purchased a 2700+ and it used to show up as that. my system specs are below for your info. Not sure if this will help but my processor runs at approx 53 C. during gaming and about 44 C. not gaming. Thanks

MSI KT4AV board
    AMD ATHALON XP 2700+ 2.16g (when purchased)
    AMD ATHALON XP 2100+ 1.76g (now)
    1.25gb ddr 512 pc3200- 512 pc2700- 256 pc2700
    mator 80 gig hd
    380w power supply
    radeon 9800 pro agp 128mb v. card
    on board 5.1 sound w/Creative 5.1 spkrs

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    To correct the CPU problem you need to enter the BIOS setup and find the settings for the CPU speed/frequency. Right now its set at 266Mhz(133Mhz). You need to change it to 333Mhz(166Mhz) in the BIOS.

As for the slowing down try updating all the drivers.

VIA chipset drivers: http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=2
    ATI video drivers: http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/...tsXPdriver&submit.x=12&submit.y=10&submit=GO!
    Realtek sound drivers: http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/driver/dvr/spt_dvr_detail.php?UID=456&kind=1

Also defrag the hard drive.

Might also be a problem with system resources you have too much running on your system or if the system is overheating. Check the viedo card temp inthe properties of the video card driver.

53 degrees is pretty warm especially if the CPU is not runnign at full speed. You may need a better CPU fan or to improve the case coolling. Do you know what the motherboard/case temp is?

3. 42gary

42gary Thread Starter

at the moment the case/board temp is 28 C. and the cpu is 43 C. I will try the fsb speed at 166 now. Thanks

4. 42gary

42gary Thread Starter

Ok well setting the Fsb at 166 did change the specs in system info, but, my computer would freeze about 2 mins after turning it on. I rebooted 3 times and the same problem. Kinda odd because the box for the mobo says "designed for overclocking". I wouldnt think 166 would be a problem. Any ideas. By the way I got a faint "very hot electronics" type smell while the fsb was at 166mhz. Any ideas why?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds like you need better cooling. Is the fan spinning fast? Is the heatsink on right?

Its not overclocking if you are running something at the speed its suppose to; the XP2700+ runs on the 333Mhz FSB.

6. 42gary

42gary Thread Starter

my processor fan is spinning at 4320 rpm's at this time with the temp at 43 C. Seems odd to me too that it wont properly operate at its rated setting. i have come up with 133mhz equaling 400 fsb? Am I wrong?

7. 42gary

42gary Thread Starter

i will get some more info from my bios settings so we can see if it isnt configured properly... brb

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, AMD's double up the real clock frequency to get their effective FSB speed. An AMD XP2700+ runs on 166Mhz which is doubled to 333Mhz. Setting it at 133Mhz(266Mhz) is under clocking the CPU while setting it at 200Mhz(400Mhz) is overclocking it.

If the system is freezing it might be the memory or as a result of extra heat.

Run this memory testor: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
    Press T to run the extended tests. Try running the test while the FSB is set to 166Mhz.

You may also want to try booting with just one stick of RAM and see if it runs OK; it will be slower but see if it freezes.

9. 42gary

42gary Thread Starter

i believe that i have some useful information. i have been running many video and memory type tests and they all lead to a problem with my direct memory access (DMA). I have no knowledge about the primary and secondary ide controllers so hopefully you can help me. Here is what i found in my system information:

Conflicts/Sharing

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
    I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
    I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF RADEON 9800 PRO

IRQ 21 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    IRQ 21 VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VIA CPU to AGP Controller
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF RADEON 9800 PRO

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB VIA CPU to AGP Controller
    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB RADEON 9800 PRO

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    XP and new systems are pretty good at sharing resources ans that generally isn't a problem liek it was.

Lets go into the BIOS setup of the motherboard and see if there's a setting to assign IRQ to video and enable it. While in the BIOS also see if there's a setting for FASTWRITE and disable it. other settigns that should be enabled are ACPI and PNP O/S. Then install or Reinstall the VIA Hypersion chipset drivers. and ATI Catalyst drivers.

11. 42gary

42gary Thread Starter

in the bios settings i have found this:

PCI IDE Bus Master is disabled

apic function is enabled

AGP FASTWRITE is enabled

AGP Master w/s write is disabled

AGP Master w/s read is disabled

AGP Master read sync is disabled...

hopefully this helps

the pnp os is enabled and there isnt anywhere to assign irq's thanks

12. 42gary

42gary Thread Starter

i ran the ati pc check program that came with the new card and I failed about 25% of the tests.

1. directx components are not installed properly.... i ran dxdiag and found no problems.

2. Capture driver INF files are not installed.

3. Audio clock Inaccuracy + or - 0.2%

4. DVD drive not detected...Its there and functioning

5.DMA for Hard Drive operation may not be enabled

I read in some other posts about different IDE cables causing this problem, and I may also have the jumpers on the drives set wrong... 1 cd-rom/rw and 1 dvd/cd-rom/rw and the 1 maxtor 80gb h.d. how would i properly set the jumpers on these. Somehow I think this is the reason for the DMA errors. I appreciate the help from you all. :)

13. 42gary

42gary Thread Starter

anyone?

14. 42gary

42gary Thread Starter

help?

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Set these in the BIOS:

PCI IDE Bus Master is disabled ====> TO ENABLED

AGP FASTWRITE is enabled ======> TO DISABLED

Also find the setting for DMA access and enable it. In Windows you need to make sure you ahev installed the VIA drivers I mentioned above as they should enable DMA. To check that DMA is enabled go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager and expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI COntrollers section. Then you should see the IDE controller and if you check the properties it should report that all drives are running in DMA mode not PIO for both the Primary and Secondary Channel.

If any drive is in PIO change it to DMA. If the drive is still in PIO then follow this article: http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

You should also download and reinstall Directx 9.0c: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...11-62fe-4f61-aba1-914185249413&displaylang=en
    Then download and install the latest ATI driver from the link I posted above.

You can download the WDM Capture Driver and the Multimedia Center from here: http://www.ati.com/support/products/radeonwinxppreviousdrivers.html

For jumpers the hard drive should be on its own cable. The cable should be an 80 wire cable; has 40 pins on the end but 80 wires in the cable. The jumper on the hard drive should be set to Master.

For the CD and DVD drive, one drive should be set to Master and the other to Slave. Which one is Master is not important. This cable can be 40 wire or 80 wire. The jumpers are on the back of each drive and there is a legend on the top or bottom of each drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice