Solved: video problems/ cpu at slower speed now

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

42gary

the issues with DMA that I am having are on the Primary IDE channel. If i uninstall them drivers for this channel (my hard drive channel) wont the system not boot up due to the fact that there are no drivers to operate the hard drive? Or will it somehow boot into xp and reinstall the ide channel.

42gary said:
Recently i have started playing half life 2 and a couple other games that are graphics intensive. My problem is that sometimes the game will slow down a bit and it gets a bit choppy. Also the sound will skip quite a bit when this happens. I went to a local computer store and the guy there talked me into upgrading my ATI 9600 pro to a 9800 pro. It seems a little better but not completely. Another thing I have noticed is that in the system information screen for my comp it is showing my processor as an AMD 2100+, but I purchased a 2700+ and it used to show up as that. my system specs are below for your info. Not sure if this will help but my processor runs at approx 53 C. during gaming and about 44 C. not gaming. Thanks

MSI KT4AV board
AMD ATHALON XP 2700+ 2.16g (when purchased)
AMD ATHALON XP 2100+ 1.76g (now)
1.25gb ddr 512 pc3200- 512 pc2700- 256 pc2700
mator 80 gig hd
380w power supply
radeon 9800 pro agp 128mb v. card
on board 5.1 sound w/Creative 5.1 spkrs

Ok here is the problem. You need a Bigger PSU like a 500 Wayy as the 9800 and above sucks a lot of power so you need a massive PSU which would speed up the preformance of your PC. 9800 Is for PCI express hopefull you have PCI Express. SO get a bigger PSU it would help increase the speed of the PC because it sucks a lot of power. You have enough RAM so it is not thats. It is the PSU.

PSU=Power Supply

42gary

I was planning on purchasing a new psu after i saw the new designed ones that you plug into instead of using the massive bundle of wires like the old ones. I will go with the 500 watt one to make sure everything is getting enough power. As far as the video card being a pci express... its an AGP. But on the other hand, the lack of DMA is putting quite the load on my processor and i would really like to know how to re-enable it. PIO just doesnt cut it for online gameplay.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online