[SOLVED] Video Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sharrell

Okay, apparently this is a common problem as it is listed on almost board I've searched. I reformatted the hard drive on a hand-me-down system and lost the proper video adapter driver. Now Windows is using the default driver, which is TRULY inadequate!!

My problem is that I can't get any information from the card because it is integrated into the motherboard via a ribbon cable. I can't even seem to find the name of the motherboard manufacturer.

Is there anything that I can do about this short of buying a new card?

sharrell

The diagnose program only told me what I already knew...Standard PCI graphics adapter (VGA).

BTW, I had also tried a similar DOS based program, but this one is MUCH better. It confirmed something else that I already knew...this thing is an antique!!

I was afraid of that, std pci is the windows default adapter.

You can try this

go to msdos prompt:
1. type "debug"
2. then type "dc000:35" <----those are zeros
3. a bunch of numbers should appear. on the
right side should be the name and version
of your video card.
4. type "q" to get out of the debug option
5. Try "dc000:50 if the above doesn't work.

You may just have to search the motherboard and video card and try and find a make and model or at least a video chip number.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi again sharrell, do you have any documentation for the motherboard?

If not, what you might try doing, is when the computer is starting the bios will have a string (well hopefully) of numbers.....hit the pause/break key so you can copy them down.

Then if you have Award or AMIBios go here to see if you can't identify the board.

http://www.wimsbios.com/

sharrell

I tried the debug command. Here is the info that was on the right-hand side:

CIR9. & c. @ v1.21b

All I can gather from that is that it is version 1.21b. Perhaps you have more insight than myself!

Hello again, AcaCandy,

I'm not exactly sure where to look for this string. Can you give more information, please?

Try this, maybe you will get lucky

go to start/settings/control panel/system/device manager/display adapter/select the current adapter, hit remove, reboot, let windows reinstall and hopefully it will find the right adapter.

sharrell

Tried that already. It keeps finding the same things (I've done it at least three times), but THANKS!

Per candy's post above, when you reboot your computer on the bottom of the screen will be your bios number and version.

Also look for the fcc number of the motherboard, it should be located by the simm or dimm slots(where the memory module plug in). If you find the number you can trace the motherboard here
http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/

sharrell

I could KISS you guys right now!!

I opened the case to locate the FCC number. I couldn't find it but happened to see the version number. I restarted and noted the BIOS numbers. Using AcaCandy's link above, I found the motherboard information, and eventually, the correct driver!!

I love this 24 bit color!! Thanks SO much!!

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Wonder Woman smiling and marking this thread solved.....

:D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online