1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Video shuts down just before login screen..is video card dead?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cowboyj28, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cowboyj28

cowboyj28 Thread Starter

My motherboard is an ASUS P4P8Z SE
    Graphics card AMD/ATI Radeon X300 SE

The video on my screen shuts off and it doesn't even make it past the start up screen (black screen). I try to go in safe mode but it never makes it to there before video shuts off. I'm wondering if it's my video card since I do play an online game and this is just a basic card. My gf recommended that I change the video card awhile ago. Is it possible it burned out? It was working fine yesterday. I don't want an extremely expensive one since this is an old computer and I will be getting a new one in another year or so. Is there any way I can get to safe mode before the screen shuts off?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    P4P8Z SE does not appear to be a valid Asus model number....

Does the computer shut off completely?

It could be a number of things including a faulty graphics card. It could also be the motherboard or the power supply. Do you have a spare power supply or video card or access to another computer that you can swap parts with?

Check for bad caps on the motherboard and video card: http://www.google.ca/search?q=bad+c...&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=77

3. cowboyj28

cowboyj28 Thread Starter

No I don't have anything spare, just this one desktop. The computer is definitely on and it goes to the Wins login screen. I can shut the monitor button off then on and I can see on screen for just a few seconds. I did notice that last night while online that my monitor did flicker a little but I didn't think it was anything.
    I made a mistake the motherboard is a P4P8X SE.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So the computer does stay running? And you even see a picture on the monitor if you turn it off and then back on? If so then then its either the monitor or a video setting(resolution or refresh rate). Have you tried "Enable VGA Mode" from the Windows start up menu?

5. cowboyj28

cowboyj28 Thread Starter

I can't look at anything on my computer so I'm telling my gf over the phone who's posting for me and trying to check it out. Actually she's typing for me . She'll send me some of those pics so I can look at them on my Blackberry.

6. cowboyj28

cowboyj28 Thread Starter

He doesn't understand why it would change like that all of a sudden. How can he change anything on the startup if it doesn't stay onscreen long enough to make any changes.

7. cowboyj28

cowboyj28 Thread Starter

And yes the computer is runnning. He says he could keep turning it on and off for each step, but it would take a long time, however so I can instruct him where do you change that setting.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    In the post #3 it says "it goes to the Wins login screen", that implies that there was video up to a point.

At this point I'd would recommend borrowing another monitor or test the monitor on another computer as it sounds like the monitor is faulty.

9. cowboyj28

cowboyj28 Thread Starter

I meant that he sees the black startup screen a couple of seconds then the video shuts off. If he turns the on off button on on the monitor he can see the login screen but then the video shuts off again after a few seconds. Now he's telling me the screen stayed on but it's flickering.

10. cowboyj28

cowboyj28 Thread Starter

And now the video shut off again.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its most likely the monitor, test it on another computer and if it exhibits the same problem then it will have to be either sent in for warranty or replaced.

12. cowboyj28

cowboyj28 Thread Starter

He had an old CRT monitor but he gave it away. (It figures, you never know when you'll need those old parts.) Will have to drive a couple of hours to test the monitor on a friend's computer. He says now it's working and staying on again.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sometimes electronics work when they warm up and things expand.

14. cowboyj28

cowboyj28 Thread Starter

Ok thanks. If it happens again he'll just have to go and test the monitor on someone else's computer.

15. GripS

GripS

I'd bet this is the monitor as well. The symptom you are describing happened to the receptionists computer at my work. I swapped out the monitor and BAM problem solved.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1005037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice