Solved: Video sometimes not working on boot up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DKTaber

I've searched this forum for 20-30 min., but can't find anything exactly like my problem. I have a custom built P4 with an Asus MoBo P4P800SE, 1.5GB RAM, one WD HD, one DVD-RW. Video card is nVidia GeForce MX 440 w/64MB VRAM in an AGP. It has worked perfectly since 2004, but recently after an overnight shutdown, upon boot up, some weird gobeldy-gook flashes on screen (white lines then total black) and that's all the video I get. Push the power button on the CPU to reboot, and video works fine. Video also works fine if computer goes into hibernation. Only time the issue occurs is on the first boot up when the computer has been shut down.

I have the latest nVidia driver for the card. No viruses or worms, unless Trend Micro is missing them. No spyware. HD cleaned of temp files. Registry cleaned of invalid entries. Deep diagnoses of HD, memory, and video card report no problems. I have removed the video card, cleaned the contacts with an eraser, and reseated it. I get no "beeps" on boot up indicating a problem.

What's causing this intermittent video problem?

DKTaber

Problem is solved. After posting this, I rebooted the computer and got a beep when the video failed to appear. I replaced the video card with a new one and now the video works all the time.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online