1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Video trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by royy2, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. royy2

royy2 Thread Starter

I have a Dell 4400 with WXP and this computer has a Sapphire Radeon 9600 Atlantis video card in it. My son uses this computer and it ended up full of viruses and spyware. I also noticed the screen (video) was screwed up looking. so I decided to just reformat the computer.

When I finished, I now get a "add new hardware" box appearing, looking for a "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)". I then let it look for the driver itself, but it is unable to find one. I then inserted A Dell CD which I thought would contain the driver, but that also did not work. My screen looks all "grainy" and when I scroll, it is all "jerky". There is obviously a driver or something missing.

I then went to the ATI site and downloaded the Catalyst 6.7 Windows XP - Driver for the Radeon 9600, and that also did not work. My video is still screwed up.
    Under device manager, it shows me missing a "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" Any ideas what am I doing wrong or where I can get the proper driver? Thanks much.

2. stantley

stantley

Go into the BIOS (hit F2 when booting) and there should be an option to either use the onboard video or a video card. Make sure it's NOT set to use the onboard video.

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

There may be a setup.exe on the dell driver cd to run.

4. onsite

onsite

you have to go to saphires web site there are different sub models for the atlantis 9600 you have to select the correct one in the drop down box under graphics
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/us/support/drivers.php

ps do not let your son use your PC anymore

5. royy2

royy2 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I have tried all these things, and no luck yet.

When I went into the BIOS, there was a option under "video configuration" to have AGP or a PCI as the primary video adapter. I uninstalled all the ATI software, selected PCI, rebooted, and reinstalled the software. But the video is still screwed up. The video IS better when I select AGP though, if that is of any help to anyone. But it still isn't correct even with the AGP selected.

I also tried to install the software from the Sapphire site, but to no avail. Same results. I also have the disc it came with and that doesn't seem to work either. Any more ideas? Could the card be shot?

6. royy2

royy2 Thread Starter

I realized I should have selected 'AGP" in the bios and I did that. For some reason, when the card and driver don't install, the video looks better, but still not correct. The minute the driver is installed, it look terrible. Thanks for any help.

7. onsite

onsite

Whoa , if you select pci or AGP, you have to move the video cable from the AGP card to the PCI video card, this is not a setting like yes or no for the same device, it is either or. ...so i am confussed, is the video card pci or agp ?:confused:

8. royy2

royy2 Thread Starter

It is a AGP card.

9. norton850

norton850

10. royy2

royy2 Thread Starter

Thanks guy. I tried that yesterday. I was chatting with Dell for about 2 hours today and finally came to the conclusion that the card is junk. Installed another Raedon and it installed like a charm. Thanks for all the help.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice