1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Video Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Noyb, Jan 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Jay
    This Computer was on sale for Christmas ... (a refurb)

I’d like to upgrade it to run dual displays .. (I’ll mainly be using it to edit videos, author DVDs and upload to YouTube)
    I’m wondering if this PSU and Video Card will work ... or if anyone has better suggestions for "about" $100 or less ???

The PCI Express x16 slot (Gen 3.0) has me confused … Is this the same as a PCI Express 3.0 x 16 ??
    Would This be a better choice for a video card ??

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The computer already supports dual monitors, one by VGA and one by DVI-D. Do either of the monitors have DVI or HDMI?

If neither monitor has a digital input then that PSU and GPU should work.

Does your video editing software support GPU hardware acceleration, if it does then you may want a better card that is supported by the software to improve rendering speed.

3. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    I couldn't get the dual video to work ... The second monitor doesn't show when connected via DVI-D>VGA ???
    I'm using Windows Movie Maker 2012 and W7's DVD maker ???

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Nope, DVI-D(Digital) cannot be convert to VGA(Analog) without a converter box. Only DVI-A or DVI-I whioch have analog signals can be converted to VGA. Not sure that the converter is intended for.

So neither monitor DVI or HDMI?

Neither of those programs benefit from adding a video card, no GPU hardware acceleration.

5. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    DVI-D .. But the run is longer than my available DVI cables ...
    I think I'll order an extension ... And still think about the Card and PSU.
    Many Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140920

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice