Solved: Viewing Files In A HTML Directory Tree

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rolfman22

I have a website hosted on GoDaddy. I want to view the files I have uploaded in an html directory tree.

Please see the following link for an example...

cpan.org/modules/by-module/LWP/

I have seen this all over the internet, and I have searched for this the last couple of days. I contacted GoDaddy support, and they say they "don't support this and that I should refer to a search engine." (like I hadn't tried that already)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Welcome to TSG rolfman22 !! They are correct Directory Browsing is not supported by most ISP's for security reasons. The ones you saw may have been private servers setup to allow the search for other reasons.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
If the server is Apache and it allows the use of .htaccess files; you can setup the .htaccess file to allow file indexes.

rolfman22

I have done some research on Directory Browsing, and I am going to try some php scripts I found. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
namenotfound said:
Usually if there is no index file in a directory, it will do that automatcally.
Most Web Hosting companies will turn off file indexing on their servers for security reasons. You can use an .htaccess file on apache servers to turn it back on for a specific directory.

Squashman said:
Most Web Hosting companies will turn off file indexing on their servers for security reasons. You can use an .htaccess file on apache servers to turn it back on for a specific directory.
Which ones? :p
Every host I ever delt with have it turned on by default.
Most of the time, I have to turn it off myself :rolleyes:
Usually instead of turning it off, I just do the lazy thing and add a blank index file to each directory I'm only using for files, like images etc. :D

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Probably the same sites that get hacked because they are laxed on their security.

Well none of my sites were ever hacked :p
And the host I'm currently using has never been hacked. :D

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
namenotfound said:
Well none of my sites were ever hacked :p
And the host I'm currently using has never been hacked. :D
Do you think they would tell you if they were hacked. Most places deny ever being hacked unless it has been leaked by someone internally.

Glas I could help solve the problem.

I have a site that has no links at all on the home page. I let people access other pages and directories by having them enter the names in the url. This question makes it sound like anyone could get a listing of the directory on my site if they follow the technique mentioned here. Is that correct?

For example, my home page is site.com. I tell people to enter site.com/secret to access the "secret" directory. Now I'm afraid anyone can now use this technique to see that I have a directory called "secret". Is that so??

Do you have directory listing enabled?
And what's going to stop someone from sharing the "Secret" URL?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online